Monday, May 10, 2010

Koontz and Harris

I've been a Dean Koontz fan for many years and look forward to reading each of his novels as soon as they come out in paperback. Obviously some are better than others, but the last few (with the exception of the "Odd" books) have not lived up to my expectations. His most recent paperback, Relentless, turned out to be the best one I've read in awhile. I was a bit surprised to see so many negative reviews at Amazon since it kept me in its grip to the last page. Even the editorial review used there was negative. No matter. I read for pleasure and escape and this one gave me both.



Today I finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse book by Charlaine Harris: Dead in the Family. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but once again...not the best reviews at Amazon. I've mentioned this series before, both when Charlaine Harris spoke at our community college and when I attended a book signing. What I love most about the books is that they take place in my neck of the woods. I'm quite familiar with most of the real-life places mentioned and can definitely relate to a few of the characters. I've yet to watch the HBO show based on the books and don't imagine that I ever will. Still.... I've learned never to say never.

7 comments:

Pam said...

I like Koontz and have several in my to-read stacks. Haven't read any of Harris' books tho' I do enjoy the series on TV.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I so often prefer to make my own mind up on these matters, especially when the book being reviewed is by an author I usually enjoy.

A lot of negative reviews about Dean Koontz's latest book here in the uk as well. I must confess I don't know his books well enough to comment on if it is up to his usual standard or not.

Marion said...

Ray said the same thing about Koontz's latest. I only read the "Brother Odd" series and they only get better and better.

I'm about 2/3 through the new Sookie and I'm disappointed. It's slow moving and just not up to par with her last few books. I'll finish it today and see how it goes. Blessings!

Jen said...

It's been a long time since I heard anything about Dean Koontz. I don't always trust the official reviews, but Amazon is usually pretty accurate.

Jenners said...

I never let a review by people I don't know or trust turn me off a book ... and I've been surprised both ways when I've either loved a book or hated a book and found out I was in the minority!

quid said...

I stopped reading Koontz a little while back, although I'm saving the "Odd" books, since I know so many of my friends have enjoyed!

quid

Unknown said...

I still like the Sookie series. I think they are fun reads and I think this is the book I'm going to be picking up next. Here's hoping I like it!

I also watch True Blood. It's different from the books, but in my mind it's still good. I just have to keep the books and the show separate in order to enjoy both of them.