Wednesday, May 5, 2010

FreeVerse - Haiku for Mother's Day

FreeVerse
Hosted by Cara at Ooh...Books!
(click on image above)


What a pleasant surprise to find out I had the winning entry at Cara's! I don't claim to be a poet, but I really enjoy Haiku and have tried my hand at writing it a few times. You can see samples here, here, and again here.

In memory of my mother and my aunt, I've attempted a series of Haiku for this week's FreeVerse. To give some background, my mother died when I was seventeen and one of my father's sisters stepped in to try and fill the void. Some of these may not work that well individually, but I hope as a grouping they convey some of the emotions surrounding these events.


I was seventeen
When she departed this world
I still needed her

Taken far too soon
Thirty-four years have gone by
Time eases the pain

No kids of her own
She only wanted to help
I pushed her away

She is gone now, too
I hope she knew in the end
How much I loved her

It wasn't until
I had children of my own
That I understood

Each one leaves the nest
Taking with them as they fly
A piece of my heart

10 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Such beautiful words Kelly, they really touched me. I'm sure this poem will be understood by many, many people as most of us I'm sure will have felt this way at some point in our lives.

Well done on the win over at Cara's, I'm away to visit now.

quid said...

Congratualatins on your "win" Kelly!

I love this grouping. I think any of us who have lost their mother can find pieces of their own truth in your poem.

quid

Valerie said...

Congrats on your win!

Your series of haikus show so well an universal truth: we often don't fully appreciate those who raise us, until we become parents ourselves.

Very bittersweet. Well done!

Marion said...

Congratulations! It's a beautiful poem. I just love haiku! Blessings!

Cara Powers said...

Wow. The last haiku seemed so universal with such an obvious interpretation to me. Along with the rest of the series, it takes on whole new levels. Thanks, Kelly

Pam said...

Yay You!!! Congratulations, Sis!! Love the Mother's Day Haiku!!

You, my dear sister, are MUCH more talented than you give yourself credit for!! :)

Jenners said...

Congrats on winning the contest!! I'm so proud of you.

And these are really touching and amazing. It breaks my heart that you lost your mom so young.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Your Haiku for Mother's Day
are poignant and beautiful!

Congratulations on your win!

I hope that you will continue
to write haiku and share these
with us here.

Raven

quid said...

Thought I'd spell it right... congratulations. And you thought I could only mis-spell when texting.

quid

Linda said...

What beautiful, heartfelt words. Seventeen is just too young to lose your mom. I've had two friends, other than you Kelly, who lost there mothers prematurely. Both told me they would give away all of their worldly possessions just to have one more hour with their mom.

Congrats on your win!