Monday, May 17, 2010

Destination Science: Arkansas, USA

In the spirit of Rodney Dangerfield, I can say that quite often my home state of Arkansas "don't get no respect". So you can imagine my surprise when I turned to the "destination science" feature of the May 2010 issue of Discover Magazine and saw Arkansas, USA! Launching the article with the words "Arkansas is rarely on anyone's bucket list", writer Leeaundra Keany then goes on to praise the state and highlights four places especially worth visiting for their geological offerings. I found a copy of the article online here if you'd like to read all of it. Otherwise, here are the locations, a few details about them, and links to more information.

1. Blanchard Springs Caverns: The largest living cave system in the US.
www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/caverns.html

2. Hot Springs National Park: 47 clustered hot springs serving two historic spas.
www.nps.gov/hosp/index.htm

3. Crater of Diamonds State Park: The eighth-largest diamond reserve in the world and the only spot on the planet where you can go prospecting for the gems and keep any that you find.
www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com

4. Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources: Focuses primarily on petroleum and bromine, more of which is produced in Arkansas than anywhere else in the world.
www.arkansasstateparks.com/museumofnaturalresources

Now I have to be honest and admit that although I've lived all my life in Arkansas (with the exception of the years I spent in college), I've never visited Blanchard Springs or the Crater of Diamonds. I've been to Hot Springs a number of times, yet never visited Bathhouse Row. On the other hand, I've frequently been to the Museum of Natural Resources (orginally called the Oil & Brine Museum).

10 comments:

Betty Manousos said...

Thanks for that informative post!
And I also thank you so much for your wonderful comments!
B xx

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I hope tourist information paid you well for this informative post. I'd love to visit the diamond crater - one day perhaps, we could even go together.

Marion said...

I think Louisiana ties with Arkansas on the 'gets no respect' scale. LOL! I love Arkansas and Ray and I have vacationed there several times. It's a beautiful state and also, it has you in it. :-) Great article, too! Blessings!!

Jen said...

I have a friend that keeps saying she wants to roadtrip/camp in Arkansas. One day I'll get there.

Jenners said...

I have to say, this article makes a compelling case to visit Arkansas!

Pam said...

I thought we had visited Crater of Diamonds and the cave. Maybe it was a cave in New Mexico we went into. The diamond thing would have been long before you existed! LOL!

Nick would remember...

jra82950 said...

You really need to visit both Blanchard Springs and the Diamond Mine. When I was growing up, my family and I wetn to the Daimond Mine several times and dug for those beautiful sparkly stones!! It was always fun and a kid could get dirty and no one fussed at you. Uncle Freddie Michael even found a small diamond one time. Eric and I carried the kids there once when they were small. It's a neat place to go on a day trip. Go before it gets too warm though! Blanchard Springs is one of the hidden marvels of this state! We first visited the caves when Erika was about 6 months old and Joseph was three. Joseph loved both caves, even though the longer cave is a long walk for little people. Erika simply got HEAVY to carry; the stroller was almost useless in some areas. Both of the caves open is 1979 were quite beautiful, but then I am a cave nut. Spent many summer vacations crawling around in caves with my parents. Loved it! There is a new cave open now that I have not seen. Maybe this summer!!! Kelly, you'd love it!!!

quid said...

So, I'll come there for the spas and the diamonds. I assume you will also feed me? :)

Bob said...

Never visited Bathhouse Row? Not even during one of those chorus trips??

Blanchard Springs is worth a visit, once. In my old age, along with becoming averse to flying, I also detest going deep down into the Earth. Never again.

This isn't science, but Petit Jean and Mount Nebo are also worth mentioning.

Mike said...

Interesting .... I've hunted for diamonds but never found any. I've been to Hot Springs...but not the bath houses. I have a client who used to run the caverns for the National Forrest Service and did go down in the cave once. But I've never been to the oil and gas museum. I'll have to visit sometime.