Wednesday, May 19, 2010

FreeVerse ~ Paul Farley

The past weekend was spent attending our middle child's college graduation. In between packing up her apartment and other activities we found time to visit a used book store. The poetry section was small, but I did find a couple of books that looked interesting including The Ice Age by British poet Paul Farley. The following poem is taken from that collection.



Diary Moon

You are the plainest moon. Forget all others:
shivering in pools, or spoken to when drunk,
that great Romantic gaze of youth; shed all
sonatas, harvests, Junes, and think instead
of how your phases turn here in a diary:
stripped of sunlight, surface noise and seas
you move unnoticed through the months, a bare limn
achieving ink blackness, emptying again.

You who turned inside the week-to-view
my father carried round each year, past crosses
that symbolized pay days, final demands;
in girlfriends', where red novae marked the dates
they were 'due on', and I shouldn't've been looking;
who even showed in weighty Filofaxes,
peeping through the clouds of missed appointments,
arrivals and departures, names and numbers.

On nights like these, which of us needs reminding
to set an eel-trap, open up the bomb doors
or sail out of the harbour on a spring-tide?
What sway do you hold over our affairs?
Although for some you're all that's there, printed
across the white weeks until New Year;
moving towards windows that will not frame us,
into the evenings of our sons and daughters.



(FreeVerse is hosted by Cara at Ooh...Books!)

12 comments:

Marion said...

I love the poem! How great to find a used book store. They're getting harder and harder to find around here. Congratulations to your daughter! Blessings!

Jen said...

I think the moon holds a lot of sway...all the crazies do really come out during a full moon. Work at a call center sometime and you'll find out.

Nice poem.

Cara Powers said...

Congratulations to your daughter! Thanks for introducing me to a new poet. I agree with Jen. I used to work in an ER.

Betty Manousos said...

Congrats to your precious daughter, Kelly.
And thank you so much for following CUT AND DRY!.
I'm now following you back!

And..there's an award waiting for you@!

B xx

Marion said...

I love the moon and I'm one of the crazies. Tee-Hee. I dance naked under the full moon all summer. ;-) And I just ADORE all moon poems...but you already knew that. LOL! Blessings!

quid said...

Oh, I did love this!

quid

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Firstly congratulations to your daughter, you must be so very proud.

I'm still not too sure about this poem, why I don't know. I've read it several times and to me it just doesn't seem to flow. Oh well, I suppose that is what FreeVerse is partly about, exploring what you do and don't like.

Kelly said...

You know, Tracy, it sometimes takes me several read-throughs to really "get" a poem. I didn't even realize at first that this one was referring to those little date books one carries that often have the moon phases printed on them.

Marion.... I ALWAYS think of you with any kind of moon poem!! That's why I knew you'd love this one.

J.T. Oldfield said...

I've been getting most of my books (that I buy) from used bookstores lately as well!

Jenners said...

I like this one!!!

And I'm looking around for some poems that really inspire me for FreeVerse. I kind of ran through my favorites there and so I'm taking a little break from it until I find something I really love. (I'm not actually that big of a poetry person so I exhausted my small stash of favorites fairly quickly).

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Congratulations to your daughter!

Thank you for sharing the poem,
it's beautiful.

Raven

Pam said...

Oh wow! I do love this! Can't believe I overlooked it!