Saturday, May 29, 2010

Favorite Five - Fantasy Careers

I think most kids go through phases in their lives where they aspire to heights that they most likely will never reach. With hard work and the right opportunities some might be realistic, but many are just pipe dreams. I've had a few of my own over the years.

1. Rock star - Lead singer wasn't necessarily my goal. I wanted to be either the drummer or the bass player.

2. Best-selling author - The genre might have varied depending on what I liked reading at the time, but always fiction.

3. Chef - Considering I've struggled with my weight for much of my life, this one always came with the added wish of being able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining anything.

4. Artist - Specifically one who created sculpture through welding.

5. Librarian - Okay.... this one was realistic and what I actually wanted to be "when I grew up". Life just took me a different direction instead.

Okay. Now it's your turn!

10 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good to be able to visit. I can see you as a rock star, guitar in hand.

My choices not in any paticular order.

A ballroom dancer.
(Like yourself) A librarian.
An illustrator of childrens books.
A mime artist (don't ask why)
A children's tv presenter.

Sook said...

I want to be a best selling author too! But I guess I should probably write something before I even dream about it.. :)

Jenners said...

Mine are so pathetic except for author ... which is still on the list.

But I had a long-time dream of working in an ice cream shop (I never said I had BIG DREAMS). I also dreamed of being a figure skater, an actress and a musician.

My son's very first dream of something to be was an octopus!

Pam said...

hmmm....let's see.. no real order..

1. Early on as a kid I wanted to be both an artist and an author. I won an art contest as a kid and I used to write stories and read them in class to the other kids (with the teachers' permission) At one point I wanted to work as an artist in Disney World.

2. Actress - a phase when I was star stuck with various movie star guys.

3. musician

4. sociologist/ psychologist

5. special education teacher ( most recent ) This one I work in as a substitute teacher.

Shelby said...

Oh this is a fun one.
My first desire was to be on Star Trek. At the time I didn't know it was already in after school hour reruns.

A journalist. I never thought I could write a book.

An actress, but a funny one.

Stand up comedian

A great historian/archeologist. Internationally known, if you please.

Pam said...

Actually, my first desire as a writer, besides writing stories as I did in elementary school, was to be a journalist.

Dorte H said...

Fun!

Apart from my VERY young days when I wanted to be a gardener (and marry my handsome cousin), I have always wanted to be an English teacher and a writer :D

I have taught for c 15 years now, and I am a writer of a kind, so my next dream is to make money on writing. (If I could just finance my book budget that way ...)

quid said...

Of course, I wanted to be an actress.

I elected out of law school, but it wasn't because I didn't want to be a lawyer. Often, I wish I was (until I hear another lawyer joke).

I have truly wanted to run a non-profit, or be in charge of fundraising for one.

Ever since I started hiring nurses, I have wanted to be one. Are there any other, better people?

That master's degree in library science (with a media specialty) still calls out to me.

My retirement job is to learn how to be an ultrasonographer and spend all those beautiful moments with all those parents and the first sight of their baby. Is there a more "godlike" moment than that?

quid

Bob said...

I'm right there with you with being a best selling author. Maybe there's still time. By my early 30s I realized maybe I had missed the boat by not being a clinical psychologist. By then there were a mortgage and two of my three children, though, so no budget for such.

My retirement job? Driving the forklift at Home Depot or being a greeter at Wal Mart.

Marion said...

1. Poet
2. Poet
3. Poet
4. Poet
5. Poet