Some of you might remember a post I had earlier in the year concerning Civic Literacy. It even included a fun quiz you could take to test your knowledge. Today's entry is about a different kind of literacy, one maybe just as important. (sorry, no fun quizzes this time)
There was an editorial by syndicated columnist Charles C. Haynes in my local paper today that I felt touched on an important issue: religious literacy. Too many people are woefully lacking in knowledge about religion... not just others' religions, but sometimes their own. I'm not sure what the reason for this is. Fear? Apathy? Who knows? I believe that now more than ever it's important for us to try and understand what others believe. It just might make a difference in how we get along with each other.
One of the devotional guides I use recently shared a link to a website that compares many of the world's religions. I don't know how accurate or detailed it is considering I've just started looking through it myself. However, if you're interested in checking it out for yourself click on the link below. Also, I've provided a link to the editorial I mentioned. Read it and see if you agree with me.

9 comments:
I'm sure the world would be a more peaceful place if we all increased our religious literacy. I think not understanding the religions of others has led to more bloodshed than anything else.
Interesting links. I'll have to peruse them when I have more time!
A great post Kelly, both interesting and informative.
I totally agree that it is important to have at least a minimum knowledge about the other major faiths as never before have our countries being so diverse and lets face it a lot of rubbish (and its this the press tend to pick up on) gets written/spoken about ALL faith groups.
Anyway, I could witter for ever on this subject, thanks for those links - I thought the welcome to religious facts site was particularly interesting.
Nice work, Kelly!
Understanding is important. It's important too to recognise how much we have in common rather than the differences between us.
Stimulating post. Thanks.
All the best, Boonie
Jenners- I cringe when I think of some of the things that have been done in the name of Christianity!
Pam, Algernon - Glad you enjoyed the links.
Tracy - Don't get me started on the press! That could become a major rant.
Boonie - A very wise statement! Thanks for pointing that out.
OK a comment from me might show up twice; sorry if that's the case.
Anyway, I agree that understanding is very important and there is quite a lack of it out there. Good points from you and your "commenters."
One of, if not THE BEST gifts I ever received was a graduation gift from my high school literature teacher. I was far from her best student, but the reading list she gave us upon graduation of "100 Books You Must Read" was a guide for life. It included The Bible, and writing and teachings from all the major religions. As a public school teacher she was banned from teaching us this in class but as a dedicated teacher she found a way anyway.
What a wonderful teacher! ...and I bet it was a wonderful list, too!
Thanks for stopping by, Angela.
Post a Comment