I first learned of quinoa years ago. Not a grain commonly sold at my local WalMart, I managed to find some at a local specialty store. My purchase sat on the pantry shelf for ages waiting for me to find just the right recipe for it. In time it got misplaced and eventually tossed when rediscovered well past its expiration date.
It was when I saw a recipe for quinoa at Sook's blog that I was reminded of the grain and my desire to try it. This was reinforced when I saw it featured on two different programs on the Food Network. So.... back to the specialty store for another package. This time I decided to wing it and come up with my own recipe. I prepared quinoa with black beans and sausage. My husband ate it, but felt it tasted a little too much like couscous, which he doesn't particularly care for. When my son came by the next day for leftovers, he made the same observation. In his case, that was a good thing. I'm not sure I tasted the similarity, but I thought it tasted good.
What about you? Have you eaten quinoa? If so, did you like it?
It was when I saw a recipe for quinoa at Sook's blog that I was reminded of the grain and my desire to try it. This was reinforced when I saw it featured on two different programs on the Food Network. So.... back to the specialty store for another package. This time I decided to wing it and come up with my own recipe. I prepared quinoa with black beans and sausage. My husband ate it, but felt it tasted a little too much like couscous, which he doesn't particularly care for. When my son came by the next day for leftovers, he made the same observation. In his case, that was a good thing. I'm not sure I tasted the similarity, but I thought it tasted good.
What about you? Have you eaten quinoa? If so, did you like it?

11 comments:
I've never heard of this stuff, Kelly. It looks...strange! LOL! I'm an ole Southern rice, grits, potatoes & meat girl. I applaud your willingness to try new things. Blessings!
Never had it but I can tell it would be a texture thing for me.
In a word, no. I'm also not a couscous fan.
Funny, Wed. is food day in the Dallas Morning News and today the food of focus was quinoa.
I've always heard of this but never had it. I'm not a big couscous fan though.
I've never tried it and would not hve a clue how to prepare it. If you find a good recipe, let us know.
Like yourself we eventually tracked some down and it lay in the back of a cupboard until it was thrown out. Shame as I hate to waste food and it was expensive to buy.
I'm not really sure it tastes that much like couscous. I used chicken broth in my preparation instead of water like I do when making couscous and I think that's why they made the association. It's actually a larger grain with a different texture. It also comes in a red variety (as well as black) which is really pretty.
I think when I prepare what's left in the package I'll just make it as a side dish (like rice) and maybe use beef broth instead of water.
If it tastes like couscous, then I will give it a try. I've heard of this grain but never tried before. Many thanks.
Greetings from London.
No, I have never tried it..I even never have heard of it.
Hope you're having a great weekend!
Big hugs!
B xx
Kelly, I was glad to see this. I like quinoa, introduced to me by my California nutritionist. (keen-wa, if like me someone doesn't know the pronunciation.) She suggested the red, and I do like it. It's an antique Indian grain My problem has been finding the right recipe. I actually became so interested after reading Kelly's post, that my comment was too long. I have my own post on my blog Me and My Invincible Summer about quinoa.
You have me wanting to try the red vareity now, Jenny.
Thanks for stopping by, Betty and A Cuban in London!
Post a Comment