Friday, October 15, 2010

Favorite Five - TV Game Shows

I've rarely seen a game show I didn't like. Oh, I can think of a couple... The Gong Show, Three's a Crowd, and maybe a few others. It was a thrill when we first moved to the country and got a satellite dish to discover a channel devoted entirely to game shows. At the time Game Show Network (or GSN as it's now called) showed repeats of all my favorites from my childhood along old black and white shows from the early days. Certain months of the year I have more time available for mindless TV and in those days I always landed on GSN. These days it's more often the Food Network, but I still have a soft spot for GSN.

I seriously doubt any of you are the game show freak that I am, but surely there's at least one show you enjoyed. Here are my favorites:

1.
Family Feud - Any host will do (there have been many), but my favorite was Richard Dawson.

2.
Jeopardy! - I rarely watch this anymore, but there was a time when my kids were little that they knew not to disturb me during that half hour!

3.
The Match Game - My younger two kids would play along with this using their dry-erase boards. I only liked the version with Gene Rayburn, who was my favorite game show host of all time.

4.
The Price is Right - I found it interesting to watch some of the early B & W episodes with Bill Cullen as host. Totally different! I've only seen the newest version with Drew Carey a couple of times.

5.
Password - I had the home version of this game. I never could picture Betty White married to the host, Allen Ludden. The only other version I watched was with Bert Convy as host.

Other favorites: Pyramid, Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall version), Wheel of Fortune, Press Your Luck, Lingo, The Weakest Link... and I could go on, but I have to stop somewhere!

12 comments:

Mike said...

Jeopardy is by far the best. I DVR it every day.

I also liked "Who wants to be a Millionaire" But it was tooooooo SLooooowww. I do remember I answered the first million dollar question --- how far away is the Earth from the Sun.

Marion said...

I only watch one game show:

1 - 5: JEOPARDY!!!

I've won millions on that show. LOL!

Pam said...

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of game shows. I would sometimes come in, this summer, and watch some show Sam and Trish love where there are suitcases you open for money.

And, I used to watch Jeopardy from time to time.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Unlike you I'm pretty hard-pressed to think of 5 game shows I do like.

Family Fortunes is ok I suppose AND I used to love dart based game show Bulls Eye when I was younger. Then, of course, there was that show (I forget what it was called) when a contestant asked 'Can I have a p please Bob?' (meaning the letter p but he blushed to his roots when he realised what he had said and heard the audiences laughter.)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Blockbusters - now I remember.

Jenny said...

I love reading about your love of game shows and also the list you included. October 15 was my mother's birthday, always sad for me now. But she loved game shows, so this was a nice walk down memory lane. They've never been my cup of tea. I suspect many of us have our "mindless TV" favorites. I used to feel that it was my dirty little secret that I had some soap opera favs and now some reality TV shows. In my wisdom of great years, I think a lot of us need that time to let our bodies and brains take a break from our busy lives. I graded many 3rd grade papers while watching those shows. Or knitted. Or done nothing a'tall!

Victoria said...

1. Cash cab
2. Singing bee
3. Family fued
4. Match game
5. Distraction (British game show)

Kelly said...

Tracy - I've seen that exact moment (about the "p") in a bloopers show!!

Jenny - don't worry... I went through a "soap" phase in college. Summer of Love on ABC!

Vic - I can't believe I forgot to include Cash Cab!! I would LOVE to be on that show!!

And those that mentioned Jeopardy!... I always consider that an "intelligent" gameshow!

Jenners said...

Wow ... you are a game show fan!

I've always liked The Price Is Right. I get so excited about the Showcase Showdowns. But my biddding is always horribly off.

Kelly said...

Jenners - I always had trouble with that, too. I blamed it on the prices in California being more inflated than those around here.

Betty Manousos said...

Blockbusters, is a good one. I'm afraid I'm not so good in watching game shows. I think I should...looks such a fun!
B xx

Thank you SO much for your lovely, lovely, lovely comments!! xo

Claire said...

1. The Price is Right
2. Family Feud
3. Jeopardy
4. Pyramids
5. Lingo