Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An unexpected outing

We usually do most of our fishing in the Spring and early Summer. After that it just gets too darned hot. Once things cool down in the Fall it gets dark too early and we're usually busy with other stuff.

This afternoon my husband came in from doing some chores in the pasture and suggested we try our luck since he'd seen some activity in the pond. I had about an hour to spare, so I agreed. Besides, I was curious to see how the pond looked. He had mentioned earlier in the week that it was lower than he had ever seen it before.

We quickly gathered our gear and headed to the pond. He wasn't kidding!! The water level has probably dropped at least three feet! We had a couple of small storms pass through last night, but the little bit of rain they provided mostly just settled the dust. Since there were fire ants in the boat and we were pressed for time we just cast from the bank. He caught a fairly decent bass along with something that got away before he could reel it in. I managed to snag three small bass. All of them went back in the water for another time.

Not much of an adventure, but it was a pleasant change of pace. Actually, the best part of the outing was getting to wear my new rubber boots! Aren't they snazzy? They sure beat my old black ones!

18 comments:

Marion said...

I LOVE those boots!!! The fish will think they're hallucinating when they see your feet in the water. LOL! I tried on some hot pink ones at Target the other day, but I couldn't find my size (9 1/2)in any of the cute ones. Guess I'll stick to my fake crocks. Have fun in those artsy boots. I'm green with envy!! Blessings!

Debby said...

These look like perkboots to me. I don't think that you could wear them and have a frown on your face at the same time. Perk Boots!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Very snazzy - just the kind of thing we see the rich and famous wearing at various musical festivals here in England.

Karen said...

SO cool! I think that I'd get a little dizzy if I looked down while wearing them! My daughters would love the boots, too, especially my youngest!

Kelly said...

Marion - I got them at The Beehive in Ruston. The style name for mine is "Monet".

Debby - Thanks to you and word verification, I think they will be forever known as my perkboots now.

Tracy - Hardly rich and famous, but now I can pretend! Especially while traipsing through the pasture dodging cow paddies!

Karen - They're really rain boots (and probably geared for the young), so I hope they'll hold up to what I put them through.

Dorte H said...

Rainbow cool! - but are you sure they don´t scare away the fish? ;D

Debby said...

:^D

And now my word verification is 'crust'. What can we do with that?

Kelly said...

Dorte - I can attest that they don't scare the fish. We went back this morning and caught a nice mess of them. Of course I was sitting in the boat this time, though, so they couldn't see my boots.

Debby - Give it time and my boots may form a crust on them. Eww. Let's hope I keep them hosed off where that doesn't happen!

linda said...

Those are some groovy boots! If you stand in the pond with them on, I bet they would attract many fish...

Jen said...

I love those boots. Did you keep any of the fish this time?

I intend to at least keep my online store open.

Pam said...

Fun, fun boots!!! Love 'em!!

Bob said...

Nothing like a little fishing to revive the soul. I spent a few hours on a friend's pond last week and it was very therapeutic. One of these days I'll get down there to fish with you.

Jenners said...

I love your boots!

That is almost (but not quite) enough to make me want to try fishing for the first time since I was 5!

Kelly said...

Linda - Groovy. I think that's a great way to describe them!

Jen - Yes, we kept this fish, but not for ourselves. They'll get eaten, though.

Pamel - I just like to keep you smiling, Sis.

Bob - I'm counting on it. Let's plan for the Spring!


Jenners - Hmmm... you must have had a pretty bad experience. Do I even want to know??

Jenny said...

Love the boots! I would have to wear them with a skirt and go out and about. They are way too cute to have to stay in your closet until you are tromping around in the water.

Betty Manousos said...

Love them! Cool boots!The kind of boots I would have to wear on rainy days.

B xx
X

Anonymous said...

Great boots!!!!!
I want some.....

Have a nice day, Boonie

Kelly said...

Jenny - I rarely need rainboots, but would certainly use them for that purpose if necessary.

Betty - They had lots of "artsy" varieties to choose from!

Boonie - I had a feeling you and Mrs. S. would like them.
:)