
Bobby Flay's Throwdown! is one of my favorite Food Network programs. (Chopped is my favorite) Here's the premise in a nutshell: A regional chef/cook who is the best of the best at a particular dish is approached by FN with the offer of appearing on a show which will feature their particular dish. While filming the episode Bobby Flay shows up and challenges them to a "throwdown" between their dish and his own version that's he's created specifically for the event. Usually the opponent wins, but even when they don't they're still a winner in that they've received national recognition.
Flay put out a Throwdown! cookbook this month which includes an episode guide for the seven seasons of the show along with recipes from 51 of those episodes. Obviously they couldn't include all the episodes because many of the participants had closely guarded recipes whose secrets they wouldn't reveal.
I like the layout of the book. Each featured episode begins with Flay describing the dish in question and his approach to it in the test kitchen. His recipe and the contestant's are both included, with a notation as to which was the "winner". There are quotes from the contestants, photos from the show, and contact information for the participants (name, establishment, hometown, website, phone).
I like the layout of the book. Each featured episode begins with Flay describing the dish in question and his approach to it in the test kitchen. His recipe and the contestant's are both included, with a notation as to which was the "winner". There are quotes from the contestants, photos from the show, and contact information for the participants (name, establishment, hometown, website, phone).
I'm looking forward to slowly making my way through the cookbook and trying some of the recipes.

8 comments:
Sounds really good. I'll have to see if I can find the show online. Has he ever done Louisiana food? I'd love to see him against John Folse or Paul Prudhomme. Blessings!
I haven't been through the entire book, but there is one where he challenged the owners of Serio's Deli in New Orleans for a Muffuletta throwdown. It's a recipe I'll probably try.... at least the olive salad part of it.
I love the idea of the book... I don't watch this show. Maybe I better. You have me completely hooked on the food network, now.
quid
It must be a dream come true for a chef to be picked for this show!
You'll have to share some recipes!
I've seen his show a few times. The real winners are the guests who get to eat all that good food.
Funny that I'm a total disaster in the kitchen and yet love cookery books and programmes - well, I suppose I can always dream of making all these wonderful things.
Quid - I'm surprised you haven't seen it. They show reruns all the time and the new season is just starting.
Jenners - It's certainly a great opportunity.
Pamel - I could cook FOR you if you'd ever come visit again!!
Jen - You hit the nail on the head as to the real winners. I'd love to be the friend of someone getting challenged!
Tracy - That's one of the reasons I love watching FN. I like dreaming that I could actually cook like some of these folks.
Post a Comment