I'm tired of Winter and that turns my thoughts to "Springy" things. It was around this time last year that I did a Favorite Five - Flowers post. This time it's Trees.
1. Dogwood - There's no surer sign of Spring and the approach of Easter than blooming Dogwoods. Our woods are full of them! (not blooming yet, of course) I can't see their delicate white flowers without thinking of the Legend of the Dogwood .
2. Magnolia - I think Magnolia blossoms are absolutely beautiful and they make a wonderful centerpiece for a dinnertable. My aunt had a huge tree in her front yard and it was a nice, cool hiding spot in the heat of summer. The only drawback was that mosquitoes also loved it. The broad leaves hold water and make a perfect breeding ground for the pests.
3. Gingko - My aunt (a different one) had one of these trees in her backyard. I love the little fan shaped leaves and they turn the most wonderful golden yellow in the fall! Watch out, though...one big gust of wind and they all come off!
4. Oak - I know that's a generalization, but there are several types of Oak tree that appeal to me. I might like Water Oaks (a type of Red Oak) best, but other varieties have much better acorns for making whistles.
5. Tulip Poplar - My husband moved one of these from a friend's house to our backyard shortly after we built our house. It grew quickly and became my favorite spot for hanging birdfeeders. Sadly, it ended up storm-damaged and we had to cut it down.
Here are a few others I like: Red Maple, Sweet Gum, Loblolly Pine. What about you? What are your favorites?

16 comments:
The dogwood is my all-time favorite. I also love the magnolia tree, because there was a huge one in my grandmother's yard.
1. Lace Bark Elm
2. Magnolia
3. Dogwood
4. Redbud
5. Oak
I do like dogwoods too ... and Japanese red maples, weeping willows and cherry trees.
No photos?
I love any tree that doesn't lose it leaves, because it's my job to clear them up. :D
I do not share your love of sweet gum trees. I hate the gumballs! I have whacked more than one of them down and there is one in my front yard that should be very afraid!
I think this depends on where you grew up so here are some - more or less indigenous - Danish trees:
Oak, beech, birch, chestnut, lime.
Bragger - I am still amazed by the huge spread of branches in some of the Magnolias in our area.
Pamel - I always associate Lace Bark Elms with you. :)
Jenners - If the Dogwoods or Magnolias were im bloom you might have gotten photos. Instead, you'll have to settle for the Wiki-links.
Joey - That's one of the perks of living where I do. No cleanup necessary.
Bob - I just remember all the fun I had with gumballs as a kid. I do remember it NOT being fun, though, to step on one when running through the yard with no shoes!
Dorte - Lime? Really? As in the tropical fruit?
Oh no, as in ´common lime´.
Here is a picture of a tree in bloom:
http://frulund.dk/2009/06/29/frulund-har-plukket-lindeblomster
Dorte - I'm glad you cleared that up! Thanks for the link, too. It's quite lovely...looks great with my blog theme. :)
1. Willow
2. Oaks
3. Climbing Trees
4. Willow
5. Cypress
I love all the creepers around with their multi coloured buds...
And wild flowers...
They never fail to make me smile:)
Thanks for coming by our blog.We would love you to come over again and tell us what u think of our ramblings:)
Marion - I always remember how glad I was to see your sweet little willow tree in real life. It had grown so much since the picture you'd posted of it as a wee thing!
Aksharaa - I bet you have all sorts of beautiful things growing in your part of the world!
Pussywillow and holly are my two favourites though I don't think holly is actually a tree is it. I hate those 'monkey puzzle' trees though - urgh.
magnolia, daffodils,willow and so many others.
i love flowers. Your spring post put me in the best of moods.
Tracy - I think of Holly as a tree. I know some can grow quite large.
Betty - Flowering trees...the best of both worlds!
I like all kind of trees! :)
The tractor on the wall - I guess (don't know) it has something to do with a month of a year....like 'harvest month'... :)
Post a Comment