Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What Am I ? (#5)

1. Most of the world's supply of me is found beneath America's Great Plains. The US began stockpiling me in the 1960s, but in 1996 opted to recoup its investment and will sell off the reserve by 2015.

2. At that point, other producers - including Russia, Algeria, and Qatar - will control what's left of the global market: perhaps only 40 years' worth.

3. I'm used to purge rocket engines for NASA and the military and I am crucial for diving equipment, particle accelerators, and MRIs.

4. Most of you know me as the gas that fills party balloons, blimps, and giant cartoon characters in holiday parades.

Have you figured out what I am from my clues? * Scroll down for the answer.




















I am Helium!









* Facts provided by the February 2011 issue of National Geographic.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Actually, I didn't know that about Helium.

Full-On-Forward said...

Buffalo Chips?

Oh Helium...I wish I could type in a really High Funny Voice!

Cool stuff!

J

Jenners said...

I only got this because of hint 4!

Victoria said...

I knew it was a gas but wasn't sure which until the last clue.

quid said...

COOL!

Kelly said...

I thought this one was fairly interesting, too. I also figured it would be pretty difficult if I didn't include that last clue. It was a giveaway.

John - you know, they really should create a font for that. They could name it "squeaky"!

Anonymous said...

Up until clue number 4 I thought that it was a Chevrolet Bel Aire, but the fourth clue gave it away.
Thanks for this fun post.

All the best, Boonie

Kelly said...

Chevy Bel Aire. Hmmmm. Now that's a thought!

Full-On-Forward said...

Kelly- I like that!!!!

JOHN