Thursday, February 10, 2011

Game Day Chili

Chili is one of those dishes that I often use a pre-packaged seasoning mix to make. Just add meat, tomato sauce, beans and you're done. When I found this recipe in the January issue of Southern Living magazine I knew I had to give it a try. It's definitely been chili weather lately and this was perfect chili to serve!



Game Day Chili


Ingredients

2 pounds ground chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 to 2 tsp. ground red pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
1 (14.5-oz.) can beef broth
1 (12-oz.) bottle dark beer
3 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 (15-oz.) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles, undrained
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Preparation

Cook first 3 ingredients in a 5- to 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well, and return to Dutch oven. Add chili powder and next 3 ingredients; cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 2 hours.






8 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I definitely eat that right now if someone would cook it for me! :D

WhiteStone said...

Looks yummy! This is certainly chili weather!

Jen said...

MMmmm. Love chili. I make a quick version with the canned chili beans.

I'm saving this one to try myself sometime. Thanks for posting.

Pam said...

hmmmm...sounds yummy!

Full-On-Forward said...

Oh--I'm soo gonna thaw and eat some we just put up!!
This batch sounds gr8!!!

Good one!

J

quid said...

OOOOOOoooo.... I love the addition of the dark beer. I add it to beef stew, but hadn't thought to add to chili. Can't wait to try this.

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

My mouth is watering as I'm reading this. Love the green chilis addition. I will make this soon! Thanks!

Betty Manousos said...

I've been looking for this recipe browsing through the Internet the other day...so thank you for this one.
Sounds and looks delicious!

Big hugs
B xx