
Normally when I play this game I use my regular iPod which currently has more than 3600 songs on it. In contrast, I only have 260 songs loaded into the iPod on my phone. I had such fun listening to the music on my phone recently that I decided to use it to play iPod Roulette this month. That playlist is fairly heavy on Classic Rock, but I still came up with a little bit of variety.
1. Crawl (Kings of Leon) - My younger daughter introduced me to this group. I have several of their songs in my iTunes collection.
2. Tom Sawyer (Rush) - My nephew, who is only eight years younger than I am, use to make fun of this group. Now he's a bigger fan than I am.
3. American Pie (Don McLean) - My first two years of college were at a small Liberal Arts school. Don McLean performed there during that time and I remember it was rumored that he never did this song in concert. Wrong. He did and it was wonderful!
4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John) - I received this album for Christmas the year it came out. Ages ago!
5. He Still Loves Me (Beyonce and Walter Williams, Sr. of the O'Jays) - There is so much good music in the movie this comes from! (The Fighting Temptations)
6. Skin (Ephraim Lewis) - I made an entire blog entry about this guy. Such a shame we won't get more from him!
7. Hungry (Kathryn Scott) - Also known as Falling on my Knees, I first heard this song when a girl sang it at my church. I loved it and had to track it down for myself.
8. Sitting (Cat Stevens) - Catch Bull at Four is my favorite Cat Stevens album and this might be my favorite song from that album.
9. Europa (Gato Barbieri) - I'm pretty sure Carlos Santana wrote and first recorded this song. Donna Sue (who never blogs anymore) had this on her blog as an example of "as sexy as music can get". She was spot on with that observation.
10. Hand Me Down World (The Guess Who) - If I'm remembering correctly, this song was on one of the first albums I ever bought. (The first was a Tom Jones album - Green, Green Grass of Home)
11. Whispers in the Dark (Skillet) - Contemporary Christian Metal. Some might consider that an oxymoron.
12. Swayin' to the Music (Johnny Rivers) - Also titled Slow Dancing, I had to download this as a single from iTunes. Believe it or not, it isn't on his "greatest hits" album which I already had. I think it's his best song by far.
13. And the Cradle Will Rock (Van Halen) - As much as I enjoy AC/DC and Aerosmith, Van Halen has always been my favorite Hard Rock band. And before you ask.... David Lee Roth over Sammy Hagar.
14. Bring the Rain (Mercy Me) - They performed in my hometown last year and were outstanding!!!
15. Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks) - I'm happy to leave you with this one. If you recognize it, it will probably be stuck in your head for the rest of the day!
1. Crawl (Kings of Leon) - My younger daughter introduced me to this group. I have several of their songs in my iTunes collection.
2. Tom Sawyer (Rush) - My nephew, who is only eight years younger than I am, use to make fun of this group. Now he's a bigger fan than I am.
3. American Pie (Don McLean) - My first two years of college were at a small Liberal Arts school. Don McLean performed there during that time and I remember it was rumored that he never did this song in concert. Wrong. He did and it was wonderful!
4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John) - I received this album for Christmas the year it came out. Ages ago!
5. He Still Loves Me (Beyonce and Walter Williams, Sr. of the O'Jays) - There is so much good music in the movie this comes from! (The Fighting Temptations)
6. Skin (Ephraim Lewis) - I made an entire blog entry about this guy. Such a shame we won't get more from him!
7. Hungry (Kathryn Scott) - Also known as Falling on my Knees, I first heard this song when a girl sang it at my church. I loved it and had to track it down for myself.
8. Sitting (Cat Stevens) - Catch Bull at Four is my favorite Cat Stevens album and this might be my favorite song from that album.
9. Europa (Gato Barbieri) - I'm pretty sure Carlos Santana wrote and first recorded this song. Donna Sue (who never blogs anymore) had this on her blog as an example of "as sexy as music can get". She was spot on with that observation.
10. Hand Me Down World (The Guess Who) - If I'm remembering correctly, this song was on one of the first albums I ever bought. (The first was a Tom Jones album - Green, Green Grass of Home)
11. Whispers in the Dark (Skillet) - Contemporary Christian Metal. Some might consider that an oxymoron.
12. Swayin' to the Music (Johnny Rivers) - Also titled Slow Dancing, I had to download this as a single from iTunes. Believe it or not, it isn't on his "greatest hits" album which I already had. I think it's his best song by far.
13. And the Cradle Will Rock (Van Halen) - As much as I enjoy AC/DC and Aerosmith, Van Halen has always been my favorite Hard Rock band. And before you ask.... David Lee Roth over Sammy Hagar.
14. Bring the Rain (Mercy Me) - They performed in my hometown last year and were outstanding!!!
15. Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks) - I'm happy to leave you with this one. If you recognize it, it will probably be stuck in your head for the rest of the day!

10 comments:
Oh man ... "Tom Sawyer" takes me right back to high school! I have a very clear memory of skiing while listening to that song on my Walkman!
I could listen to your entire Playlist!!!
John
American Pie - My mam informs me that as a small child I would wail whenever I heard this. As an adult, I confess, it still brings a tear to my eyes.
Van Halen and Van Hagar were both awesome...but I do like David Lee Roth better. And the Cradle Will Rock is a great song.
I agree that "Slow Dancing" is a great song but I still think Johnny Rivers will always be know for "Memphis". "American Pie" is one of the best songs ever talking about the day the music died. You know, it's been just over 52 years since the day the music died.
Yep, he was/is a HUGE Rush fan! I saw them in concert when I lived in Jersey.
Yes, MIke, I realize it's been that long. I remember playing that on the jukebox at the TAC house (after the music died), that and Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. I was a young teen back then. LOL!!
Now I'm an old fart!! One who loves Emmemin, Usher, GaGa, Train, Ce lo and still loves Metallica.
One of your best lists! I got into Europa after DS recommended it too.... Johnny Rivers- I always called that song "Slow Dancin' " why it wouldn't be on his greatest hits is a mystery! It's 3rd on my list after his version of "Whiter Shade of Pale" and my all time favorite, "Whiter Shade of Pale". Darnit, Kelly, now I have to download him!
quid
OOO, Kelly. I too, Petty, wailed when I heard American Pie come on the radio. I was about 14 at the time, but it lasted from the time you got in the car, till you reached your destination. Now, it is endearing to me. Also, I didn't like Seasons in the Sun way back, and still must confess, I wail when it comes on........but it is part of my generation and I have an appreciation for it. Good post, Kelly.
Loved ALL your comments here! This is the kind of post that I really enjoying seeing what everyone has to say.
Thanks for the interaction!
Post a Comment