One of the interesting things about reading blogs from around the globe is seeing the differences in spelling and speech. For example, do you put your dishes in a kitchen cabinet or cupboard? Do you go to the movies or the cinema? (or maybe the theater...or theatre)
Talking to Debby on the phone last week reminded me of a "Rebel-Yankee Test" that I posted on my old 360 blog several years ago. I took the test again today and came up with a score of "83% Dixie". Considering I was born and raised in the South you'd think I'd be at least 90% Dixie!! I'm not sure how it will work for those who don't live in the U.S., but you could still give it a try. Click on the link below and see if you talk more like a Yankee or a Southerner!

10 comments:
I'm 56%, barely in Dixie. My traveling and years in international trade have affected my accent and my vocabulary. I did get a few that were specific to Texas. I didn't know we were the only ones that "wrap" a house. And "feeder" roads are specific to Houston. That was an interesting and fun test.
41% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.
What a fun test. I'm just amazed I got as high as 41%.
One of the words I find so amazingly varied is our word for "grandma". There are a ton of options, depending on where you reside or where you family came from.
Gramma, grandma, maw, mawmaw, tutu, etc. Ditto with Grampa.
I'm proud to say I scored 100% Dixie. At least the way we talk survived the "Northern Agression" of the 1860s.
I'm 150% Dixie and proud of it! LOL! I'm baaaaaack! I missed you so much. I hope to get caught up by the weekend reading blogs. Love ya, Marion
74% Dixie. Your neck must be a just little rosy!
Hmmmm.....interesting.
I, my friend, am a Yankee Doodle Dandy. (only 29 percent Dixie...) Does this mean that you can't associate with the likes of me no more?
48 % Dixie - but as I do my best to speak and write British English, I should have skipped several questions.
And why on earth would anyone throw toilet paper over a house? (because the neighbour has run out or ....?) :D
It's a prank, Dorte, where teenagers throw rolls of TP over the branches of trees in someone's yard leaving behind masses of "streamers". We called it "rolling" and it was usually done to someone you didn't like. A real mess to clean up if it happened to rain afterwards.
Personally I always hated the practice and never participated in it. I don't recall ever getting rolled, either, thank goodness. Practical me considered it a waste of good toilet paper!
34% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.
Sigh. Despite 15 years of indocrination in "Florida South", despite my closer friends in Texas, Arkansas, Georgia and Louisiana....
I'm still a Minnesota girl who "middled" her life in NYC. If I take this again in 5 years, do you think it will change?
quid
Post a Comment