Saturday, June 12, 2010

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon


Earlier in the year I was the recipient of a gift voucher from Amazon. Since I won it at Dorte's blog I decided to browse some of her entries and purchase a book based on what I found. I liked her review of a book by Donna Leon and ordered the first book in the "Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery" series, Death at La Fenice. The blurb from the back cover reads:

"There is little violent crime in Venice, a serenely beautiful floating city of mystery and magic, history and decay. but the evil that does occasionally rear its head is the jurisdiction of Guido Brunetti, the suave, urbane vice-commissario of police and a genius at detection. Now all of his admirable abilities must come into play in the deadly affair of Maestro Helmut Wellauer, a world-renowned conductor who died painfully from cyanide poisoning during an intermission at La Fenice.

But as the investigation unfolds, a chilling picture slowly begins to take shape - a detailed portrait of revenge painted with vivid strokes of hatred and shocking depravity. And the dilemma for Guido Brunetti will not be finding a murder suspect, but rather narrowing the choices down to one...."

Often when I start a new series I enjoy the first book enough to want to continue on, but it may take me a couple of books to really get to know the main characters and feel comfortable with them. Death at La Fenice was an exception. I loved Guido and his wife Paola right away! Leon does an excellent job of portraying everyday life in Venice, not just the side that tourists see. Though I was totally satisfied with the conclusion of the mystery, I was sorry the book ended. I wasn't ready for my time in Venice to be over. The last thing I need to do is buy more books, so perhaps I can track down some of the other titles in this series at my library or used book store.

6 comments:

Betty Manousos said...

Interesting book.
A must-read. Thanks for sharing, Kelly.
And thank you for your comments!
I really appreciate them!
Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!
B xx

quid said...

Sounds wonderful!

quid

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I liked the sound of this on Dorte's blog and having read your review am going to see if our library has a copy. Always interesting to get more than one bloggers views on a book, I'm glad you also enjoyed this one.

Pam said...

Interesting. I'm actually getting into the book you sent (and enjoying it)!!

Taking it with me for the yucky procedure in the morning! :)

Marion said...

It sounds really great. I finally finished "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and was sad that the trilogy was over. Larrson was such a fabulous writer! Blessings!

Jenners said...

What an interesting and thoughtful way to use your gift certificate. And even better that it worked out for you in your choice!