On Saturday my younger daughter and I hosted a bridal shower for one of her friends. I obviously didn't check the community calendar before I set the date and location. Turns out there was a "Bugs, Bands & Bikes" festival going on all day in the area adjacent to where we had the shower. I haven't seen or heard so many motorcycles in one place since the time we happened to be in Hot Springs during a Harley Davidson Convention! (Bugs = "mudbugs" or crawfish)
Remember the goose couple I mentioned in an entry awhile back? There have been several mornings my husband has seen the entire family, which now includes four goslings, marching down the middle of the levee road which circles our pond. I would love to get a photo of that!
We've had two new calves in the past week or so. We're a small operation, so it's always a big deal when there's a new arrival. Once upon a time I took lots of livestock photos. As I mentioned here, though, it's been ages since I took my camera to the pasture.
At least when something happens right here at the house I'm pretty good about getting out my camera. Jed was barking like crazy at something in the front yard yesterday evening. Turns out it was a snake. It kept a very close eye on me as I inched up to take its picture. It didn't appear to be a water moccasin or copperhead, so I let it go on its merry way after snapping a couple of pix. I noticed Jed didn't get too close. I guess he learned something from his last experience.



11 comments:
Girl, you are BRAVE! I'd have hoed that ugly snakes head off and never thought twice about it. Just looking at it gives me the heebie-jeebies. Bye! LOL!
So if is not a water moccasin or a copperhead, what in the world is it! Aaackkk!
I'm so happy you let the snake live! I don't understand the need some people have to kill every snake they see.
Fascinating post - lighthearted and fun. Wow! And you're brave too.
We see lots of snakes here too - some deadly, most harmless, almost none of them aggressive - but if bitten by one you might become hiss-story....
Thanks for a great post and an interesting blog.
All the best, Boonsong
How I admire you, I'm not too sure I'd want to get so up close and personal with a snake.
Glad to hear Suzy is settling in well, hopefully the chewing is only a stage she is going through.
Great pictures Kelley! If we killed every snake we came across, then rats and mice would become overpopulated. I'd rather have snakes(non venomous) around then a bunch of disease carrying rodents.
Nice story - is it a black rat snake? I can't tell from the picture.
Mr Monkey
Aaaaiiiieeeee ...snake! Run ... run...run!!!
I'm not really sure what kind of snake it was.... maybe a chicken snake or rat snake? It just didn't appear to be poisonous so I didn't worry about it.
Now, there are some things (namely certain bugs) that I wouldn't hesitate to kill right off the bat!
o0o0o0o cool snake!!! First full day of Spanky's freedom. He's in hog heaven!! He's a shoe thief, too. Actually, he'll snag one right off your foot! LOL!
Suzy has obviously made herself right at home. She was no dummy when she happened upon your household . . .
Count me among the "only good snake is a dead snake crowd" but good photos. Would love to see those geese -- that must be amazing.
Post a Comment