The following prayer was used in our worship service this morning. When I asked the pastor where she found it she told me to Google "Oil Spill Prayer". In doing so I found quite a few prayers. If you want to see more of them you can click here.
Our LORD,
Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer,
You alone are sovereign over creation.
You alone created the heavens and the earth.
You alone sustain and hold all things together.
You alone are the redeemer and re-creator.
We praise You for Your wonderful creation,
But now plead with You for Your intervention.
In the face of great tragedy we turn to You,
We ask that You step in with works of restoration.
Be with the families of those who were killed,
May they be comforted with Your peace.
Be with those who were injured,
May they experience Your healing.
Be with those whose jobs are affected in an already tough economy,
May they receive Your provision.
Be with those who are working to contain and clean up,
May they be guided and directed.
What a shame that Your creatures should suffer!
LORD, please protect and heal them.
What a shame that Your creation should be damaged!
LORD, please protect and restore it.
As we ourselves are somewhat complicit in this tragedy,
Forgive us for our role in this crisis.
Teach us to reduce our own consumption,
That we might better care for and protect Your creation.
We again acknowledge Your sovereignty.
We pray that Your restorative work would be manifest,
That Your Kingdom come and Your will be done here and now,
That Your name might be glorified in all the earth.
We pray all this in the name of our LORD,
the Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer of all things.
Amen

7 comments:
Truly an awesome and humbling prayer. Thank you so much for sharing it. I wish I could do more than just pray, however.
I really love this prayer!!
It's very nice. All I would presume to add is something about accountability and responsibility.
I'm just overwhelmed by this disaster. I can't even bear to think about the damage being done to our earth and to the economy of the entire Gulf coast. I know of 4 members of my own family who vacation there yearly and they've canceled their plans. I hope and pray they just STOP the oil and SOON! Blessings!
So sad that we have to have this prayer to pray.
Each time I see more news on this it shocks me anew. You are so right. We all have a part in this. It has galvanised me to get those solar panels on our roof, to think about why I depend so much on this product.
I wonder when they are going to make the first car that can four-wheel-drive, travel long distances reliably and constantly, be priced for the average Joe, that DOESN't rely on fossil fuel. Bring it on.
My thoughts are with all those affected. Human and otherwise.
:-)
BB
Amen to this, but I must admit it is so overwhelming, I wonder.
Post a Comment