Much the same way I have a TBR (to be read) stack of books on the shelf in my living room, I also have a folder filled with recipes I've clipped over the years waiting to be tested. Some are "keepers" and end up in my permanent recipe file. Others don't pass the test and get tossed. Then there are those that are good, but probably won't be made again for one reason or another. The following recipe falls into the last category. It was printed on a piece of paper with no source listed so I don't know where it originally came from.
Cornish Hens with Rice Stuffing
1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1-1/3 cups orange juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup raisins
2 Cornish game hens (1 to 1-1/2 pounds each)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Set the seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add rice and pecans; saute over low heat for 10 minutes or until rice is golden brown. Stir in orange juice, water, raisins and contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice mixture into each hen*; refrigerate remaining rice mixture. Tie legs of each hen together; turn wings tips under backs. Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350F for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into stuffing reads 165F. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Heat reserved rice mixture; serve with hens.
*I decided this was enough to stuff four hens and still have some to serve on the side.

5 comments:
Actually sounds pretty yummy to me!
It's amazing how many recipes I clip from magazines and later, after a second glance, wonder why I ever clipped them in the first place. lol
I'd love to know why this probably won't be made again.
Tracy - out of four of us...one didn't like it, two were just okay with it, and one (me) thought it was pretty darn good.
This sounds good to me. Every Thanksgiving I used to make duck with wild rice with a recipe much like this one. I don't like duck, but my son-in-law duck hunts and provided the bounty. I haven't made it in years. Blessings!
Post a Comment