Monday, March 7, 2011

Squirrel Nest






Squirrel nests are a pretty common sight in my part of the world. Camouflaged during the summer, they become obvious once the trees drop their leaves.

This one just happens to be right in my line of vision every time I open the back door to let Alice and Mabel in or out (which can be anywhere from 3 or 4 times a day to 3 or 4 hundred times a day, depending on their mood). I marvel at the engineering. We've had some fairly windy days in recent months and it amazes me that it's still up there!

8 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow I've never seen a squirrel nest before. How does it stay up there?

Kelly said...

Joey - I have no idea. My husband said something about them weaving it all together. However they do it, it amazes me that they don't blow down.

Pam said...

I have some in the trees around here.

Nice shot of that one!

Debby said...

I've often wondered the same thing. You watch the tree branches thrashing about but I've never seen a squirrel's nest fall down. It's just that I'm afraid of heights and I don't want to be climbing all the way to the top of a tree to figure it out!

Jenners said...

Oh ... that is what those are? We have quite a few of them. Thanks for solving that mystery!

quid said...

It's huge! Never was aware of them before.

quid

Dorte H said...

It does look like a very haphazard affair - do they use super glue?

Kelly said...

Dorte - It must be SOME kind of glue!! They sure stay put!