- Kelly
- Making my way through the ups and downs of life, holding fast to my favorite Bible verse: "For we walk by faith, not by sight." ~2 Corinthians 5:7. I began blogging in earnest at Yahoo360 on October 24, 2005. (briefly using LiveJournal and blog-city prior to that) In June 2008 I moved to Blogger. I'm now at WordPress where I hope to remain.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
Cloudstreet by Tim Winton follows the lives of two families in Western Australia over a twenty year period. The Pickle family and the Lamb family have both seen their share of tragedy. Their lives become intertwined when the Pickles inherit a large house in a suburb of Perth and take in the Lambs as tenants.
I enjoyed this novel and the insight it gave into the working class life of Australia during the years following World War II. As one should with a good family saga, I connected with the two families, sharing in their joy and sorrow. With enough humor to keep the book from being depressing, there was also a touch of the supernatural to provide an additional twist to the storyline. Overall, a very satisfying experience.
This book was read for the Global Reading Challenge, completing the requirement for Australia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thanks for this Kelly, I'm sure I'd enjoy this book but must confess I find the family names funny - Lamb and Pickle - they might as well have been called Beef and Horseradish.
haha!!i'm laughing at what Tracy said.
i'm going to have to check the link.
sounds a good book.
big hugs!
Post a Comment