Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Favorite Books of 2010

Each year I try to get through an average of at least three books a month. I managed to read 40 this year. Not bad, but I've certainly had better years. Many of the books were from authors I read on a regular basis: Charlaine Harris, Susan Wittig Albert, Janet Evanovich, Laura Childs, Dean Koontz, Alexander McCall Smith, Mindy Starns Clark, Neta Jackson. None of them disappointed me. A couple were from authors I've loved in the past: Ellis Peters and Iain Pears. Neither were quite as good as I had hoped for. Although I won't say anything I read was really bad, my least favorite book of the year was probably The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was terribly depressing!

In no particular order, here are my favorites for 2010. I've provided the link to those I reviewed.

1.
The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Stieg Larsson) - I enjoyed the first in this trilogy, which I read last year, but these two were much better.

2.
The Meaning of Night (Michael Cox) - This book sat in my TBR pile for several years. I'm glad one of my reading challenges inspired me to pull it off the shelf.

3. Revelation (C.J. Sansom) -
Petty Witter at Pen and Paper introduced me to this series. This, the fourth, is my favorite to date.

4.
Nemesis (Lindsey Davis) - This might be the 20th title in the "Marcus Didius Falco" series, but it's just as fresh and well-written as her earlier novels.

5.
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (Mary Roach) - Leave it to Mary Roach to take a topic like dead bodies and make it both humorous and interesting without being offensive.

6.
Conspirata (Robert Harris) - Harris's first book on the life of Cicero made my list last year. This one was wonderful and I look forward to his third and final novel on the subject.

7. Death in a Strange Country (Donna Leon) - I read
the first in this series earlier in the year and thoroughly enjoyed it, but this second "Commissario Brunetti" mystery confirmed my desire to read the entire series.

8.
The Crossing Places (Elly Griffiths) - I can thank Dorte at DJ's krimiblog for introducing me to this new series. I plan to read the second, The Janus Stone, next year.

9.
Delicious & Suspicious (Riley Adams) - Light, easy reading, I really enjoyed this cozy mystery that revolved around a Memphis BBQ joint and included a fabulous pulled pork BBQ recipe in the back of the book.

10.
Beat the Reaper (Josh Bazell) - I won this wild, crazy novel in a giveaway at Jenner's blog this summer.

12 comments:

Marion said...

I didn't keep a list this year, but I did read "The Road". It was HORRIBLE! Ditto for J. Franzen's "Freedom". Total yuck. I'm going to stick to my own favorites next year and not fall for the media hype. LOL! Great list, Kelly.

Blessings,
Marion

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I agree Revelation would also make it onto my top 10 - but then so would Sansom's other books. I haven't read any of the other books you mention but will certainly keep an eye out for them.

Dorte H said...

I have only read three of these (1, 8 and 9), but I agree they are really good. My daughter and I enjoyed The Janus Stone every bit as much as The Crossing Places.

and thank you for the link!

Kelly said...

Marion - Did you know there is also a movie version of "The Road"? I don't plan on seeing it.

Tracy - I'm thinking there is a 5th in the Shardlake series. Have you read it? Y'all get them sooner over there than we do.

Dorte - I learned of Donna Leon's series from your blog. I think this one (which I didn't review) is the one you read, but it has a different title. When I started looking for the earlier ones I noticed that some of them had different titles in the US. I hate when they do that! Makes it confusing. This is the one with the American soldier, the female doctor, and the plot revolving around PBCs and toxic waste. Does that ring a bell?

Dorte H said...

How stupid of me not to recognize it. You are right, I have read that one, and I enjoyed it a lot (though not as much as Elly Griffiths books).

Kelly said...

Considering how many books you read a year and the fact I didn't review this one (AND that the title might have been different), it's understandable that you might not have remembered it!
:)

I'm going to read "The Janus Stone" on my new Kindle. I'll probably wait and use it for the Cozy Challenge, though it might not be as "cosy" as some of the detective series I read.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

As you know I very highly recommend
the "Commissario Brunetti" series.

The first part of the Shardlake series still sits on my TBR pile (and from what I saw it should not be rushed). As well as that you piqued my curiosity about the
"Falco" series.

And a Happy New Year to you!

Raven

quid said...

New Kindle! Hope you enjoy it.

Your #1 pick was also mine for the enjoyment of these fine thrillers.

My list will come later!

Note: Not much sleep last night, up early, car won't start....yada yada.

Pam said...

Yes, enjoy your Kindle! Trish is totally loving hers!!!! She says it's the best gift she ever received!

I really need to start reading again. Just doesn't seem to be enough down time to fit it in these days.

Bob said...

So you have a kindle?! Oh my, please, for the sake of old time, pick up a real book from time to time. I got an iPod for Christmas and I haven't taken it out of the box yet; trying to decide if I will use it enought to justify keeping it.

GREAT list! You almost doubled me in number of books read but I had a pretty good year. Going to try to do a similar post in the next couple of days. Happy New Year!

Kelly said...

Raven - Yes, the Shardlake books are to be savored. If you read the Falco books, start with book one!

Quid - After your rough night I was surprised to see you here so early! Looking forward to your list.

Pamel - Glad Trish is enjoying her Kindle! I look forward to using mine.

Bob - I got my Kindle for Christmas. Don't worry, I'll never give up real books! And please give your iPod a chance!
I look forward to seeing your list, too.

Jenners said...

Fun list!! And I'm glad that a book you won at my blog made your top 10 list ... that made me happy!