Monday, December 6, 2010

Busy as a Beaver



Look at what some beavers have been up to in our pond. The top photo is a house (lodge, hut, den) that they constructed in a matter of days right in the midst of one of my favorite fishing spots.

The bottom photo shows another house that has some mud on the sides. The mud is obviously a recent addition since it hasn't dried. Some folks say the beavers start "mudding" when they're fixing to have babies. Others say it's just a way to insulate from the cold or protect the home from predators.

Both photos can be enlarged by clicking.



12 comments:

Marion said...

Those little suckers have been working hard! I wonder if this is a sign of a hard Winter to come. You think? LOL! Blessings!

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow they've been very busy! It would make a great bonfire, if it weren't on water of course!

Jenners said...

Well this really illustrates the meaning of that phrase!

Kelly said...

Marion - I'm not sure I WANT a hard winter!! Brrr!!!

Joey - Actually...that's just what we might do to the top house! We'll see. (certainly no marshmallows or hot dog roasting, though!
:)

Jenners - I think in reality they put these up in a matter of a few days. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

These houses are definitely impressive! And then to think, as you said in your post that the beavers constructed them in such a very short time.

Raven

Felicity Grace Terry said...

How lucky to see such a thing. I straight away thought of Mr and Mrs Beaver in the Narnia books.

Karen said...

I like the photos! Amazing creatures, aren't they? You are lucky to have such an interesting and ever-changing landscape! Those beavers can teach us a lot about hard work and perseverance! :)

Algernon said...

Industrious little guys!

Vince said...

Are the Beaver that plentiful down your way, I though that Alaska and that sweep of Canada was the only place where they had a populous enclave.

Kelly said...

Vince - We have lots of them in our part of the country. In fact, they are so plentiful (and destructive) that most of the counties offer a bounty on them. My husband traps and has turned in dozens and dozens.

Pam said...

Oh wow! How fun! YOur own beaver dam!!! Pretty cool!

quid said...

Phenomenal shots! I haven't seen signs of beaver since I left upstate NY in 1990. Great photography and so interesting...

quid