Monday, December 27, 2010

Gingerbread

We had a very nice Christmas at our house. Bingo was fun on Christmas Eve with everyone winning at least twice. As the "caller" I don't get to play, but since I keep the unclaimed prizes and they were things I would have chosen for myself...I felt like a winner too!

In recent years Christmas Day has been a fairly quiet, low-key day at my house. This year I decided to try yet another recipe from the Delicious and Suspicious mystery I read this summer. Although mine turned out a little dry, the flavors were quite good. Maybe I cooked it just a tad too long.







Lulu's Early Morning Gingerbread Treat

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg and 1 egg white
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Beat sugar and butter at medium speed until well blended. Add juice, molasses, and eggs. Beat well and set aside. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup. Level with knife. Combine flour ginger, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to molasses mixture. stirring until well blended. Pour batter into an 8-inch square pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool gingerbread in pan on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over cooled gingerbread.

11 comments:

Marion said...

It sounds good and looks even better. I'm glad y'all had a great Christmas. Blessings!

LL Cool Joe said...

Looks tasty!

I'm glad you had a nice Christmas. :)

Pam said...

Sounds pretty yummy!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Your gingerbread looks delicious!

I am glad that you all had a lovely
Christmas.

Over here I had a quiet Christmas
with Fiery Spirit.

Raven

Anonymous said...

Hey, this isn't fair! You're making me hungry!

I love your recipes and the accompnaying photos are a matter of great joy for me.

Very best wishes for happy holiday and an excellent 2011,
from Boonie and Mrs S

Dorte H said...

Ginger is not really my taste, but I think it is so great that you are trying out some of Elizabeth´s recipes.

Kelly said...

Boonie - I'm glad I make you happy with my food photos. I'll try to make them healthier and more to your eating preferences in the coming year (and hopefully that will help me shed a few pounds!)

Dorte - I've been pleasantly surprised how good her recipes are considering others I've tried from mystery novels haven't been as successful.

Glad all the rest of you liked the looks of this!

MaryMoh said...

I love ginger snaps but have not tried ginger bread. I'm sure its very delicious too. Would be perfect for this cold winter. Thanks very much for sharing.

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by, MaryMoh! I'm actually trying another new recipe this weekend that includes ginger snaps!

quid said...

Looks like a winner!

Betty Manousos said...

Another great recipe! I love ginger.

Looks pretty tasty!