Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Word!

Jenners made an announcement on her blog yesterday concerning an adoption. She made it sound so fun and easy (and free!) that I couldn't resist an adoption of my own.

Words! We're talking about words! If you go to the
Save the Words website you will find a whole array of words which are no longer used in the English language. They are perfectly good words. The only thing wrong with them is that no one uses them anymore so they've been discarded. Isn't that sad?

I really had no intention of adopting my own word. I wasn't sure I could truly give one the love and attention (and usage) it deserved. And if I didn't care for it properly, what would happen? Would it be taken away from me? Would I be punished? Would I be emblazoned with a scarlet letter? (or scarlet word?)

Of course I had to take a peek. Jenners warned that they were cute and would call out to us (pick me!). It didn't take long. I knew my word the moment I saw it.



Aquabib

a noun meaning "water-drinker"



I am an aquabib and proud of it! As an aquabib I drink close to 100 ounces of water each day. I'm sitting here drinking a glass of water as I type this entry. Aquabib. Aquabib. I like the sound of it!!

Now my challenge is to try and use my new word as often as possible. Who knows...I might decide to adopt another and give it a sibling!

6 comments:

Jenners said...

Oh I love it!! She is darling ... and so useful! I'm so glad she found a good home with you. And you are one dedicated aquabib ... 100 ounces of water a day is a lot!!!! YIKES!!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

It's a wonderful site!
I have adopted two words:

Pregnatress - Female power that
generates or gives birth to something

Starrify - To decorate with stars

I will tenderly care for them.
Raven

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Thanks.
Personally I’m more of an aquabubble kind of guy. I think that’s because we eat so much spicy food.

Have a nice day, Boonie

Marion said...

I love the site! I adopted a word, but they haven't emailed it to me yet. Something about a mule. ;-)

Have a great day! Blessings!!!

Kelly said...

Jenners - Thanks for providing the link to the site!

Raven - Oooo, I like both of your words, especially Starrify.

Boonie - I'd probably drink twice as much water (would that be a double-aquabib?) if I ate spicy Thai food.

Marion - I never got my e-mail. I thought maybe I just typed in my address incorrectly. Checked my spam folder, too, and still no e-mail.

Pam said...

hmmmmmm...I need to check this out. Adopting a word sounds easy enough.