Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nemesis by Lindsey Davis


Nemesis by Lindsey Davis is the 20th of the "Marcus Didius Falco" novels. One of my favorite series, I look forward to each offering with great anticipation. Filled with the usual dry humor, entertaining characters, and clever writing, this book had a darker edge to it than some of the previous Falco mysteries. Although I enjoy the installments that have Falco traipsing around the Empire, I was glad to have him back in Rome for the majority of this one. Davis does a great job of keeping her characters from becoming stale and I think this was one of her best to date.

From the inside cover:

"In the high summer of A.D. 77, Roman informer Marcus Didius Falco is newly bereaved and facing unexpected upheavals in his life, so it comes as a relief for his to consider someone else's misfortunes. A middle-aged couple who supplied statues to his father, Geminus, have disappeared in mysterious circumstances. They had an old feud with a bunch of notorious freedmen, the Claudii, who live in the Pontine Marshes, terrorizing the neighborhood.

When a mutilated corpse turns up near Rome, Falco and his vigiles friend Petronius investigate, but just as they are making progress, the Chief Spy, Anacrites, snatches their case away from them, making it clear that the violent Claudii have acquired protection at the highest level.

Refusing to abandon their inquiries, Falco and Petronius instead dig deeper, seeking answers while a psychotic killer keeps taking more victims, and the shocking truth creeps closer and closer to home."


This book was my first for the R.I.P. V Challenge and my fifth for the Typically British Challenge.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Sounds interesting. I just started a book I've had for some time that is coming out in a movie soon: Never Let me Go by Kazo Ishiguro. He also wrote The Remains of the Day.

Jenny said...

Oh, good! A series that I've not heard of. I love finding great new (to me) good authors. Thanks for writing on my blog. It's nice, knowing at least one person will read my posts. :) And you know, I've dubbed you my "lifter-upper!" I understand dreading seeing people you've not seen in awhile. I'm even dreading seeing my beloved oldest daughter. She won't say a word, but I can read her thoughts! Will power, where art thou??

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Not a series I'm familiar with but as we seem to have many books in commom perhaps I'll give it a try - starting at book 1 or could I read this as a stand alone novel?

Kelly said...

Tracy - It would really be best to start the series with book one. (Silver Pigs, I believe) That way you grow with the characters and appreciate all the relationships that have developed over time.

Kailana said...

I have always wanted to try this series, but long series overwhelm me because I always have so many on the go! Maybe one day!

Kelly said...

Pam - your book sounds good.

Jenny, Kailana - This is one of my all-time favorite series and I highly recommend it!

Jenners said...

Sounds like a different type of murder mystery for sure!

Anonymous said...

I love this series! I think I stopped reading it for a few years (because I had too many other books to read) but when I went back to it, it was as fresh and funny as ever. I've learnt so much about the Roman empire and her characters feel so real.

Kelly said...

Chasingbawa - so glad to find another fan of Falco, et al!! Thanks for stopping by!