It's been quite some time since I posted a "favorite five" entry. To make up for that, I'll tackle one of the harder topics on my list. Songs.
I love music.... all kinds of music. Most of my memories have a song associated with them. My moods are determined by what I listen to (or perhaps it's the other way around). So how on earth can I choose just five songs ??? To start with, all five could be Yes songs. In fact, I think I made that fairly clear on my Favorite Five - Albums post. So, I'm going to eliminate them and let it be understood that Yes belongs at the top.
1. Blinded by the Light (Manfred Mann) - This song takes me back to my first two years of college when I was attending a small Liberal Arts school. It's funny how all these years later I can still sing along word for word when this comes on the radio (or my iPod). My closest friends from that time would probably put their money on two other songs, though: On and On (Stephen Bishop) or Storm at Sunup/Love Me Now (Gino Vannelli).
2. Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty) - This is one of several songs I always associate with the summer I spent studying at Oxford (in an American program). Another favorite from that time is Follow You Follow Me (Genesis).
3. Night Meets Light (Dixie Dregs) - After two years at a small college I transferred to a large state university to complete my education. It was there I discovered this group and this song in particular. Other favorites from that time frame are Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd) and Don't Stand So Close to Me (The Police).
4. Fairy Tales (Anita Baker) - I can't really say what it is about this song that I love so much. I don't try to sing along since I don't know most of the lyrics, which is odd considering how many times I've listened to it from start to finish.
5. Space Oddity (David Bowie) - No special memories for this one, either. Just a great, classic rock song!
This list could vary on any given day and, as always, I'm sure I've left off many great songs. Here are a few runners up: One of These Days (FFH), Cover Me (FFH), Pavane pour une infante defunte (Ravel), Sandy Beaches (Delbert McClinton), Ordinary World (Duran Duran), It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference (Todd Rundgren), Sailing (Christopher Cross), In a Lifetime (Clannad), American Pie (Don McLean), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin), Rocket Man (Elton John), Ain't Nobody (Rufus and Chaka Khan), Don't Want to Wait Anymore (Tubes), Make It Right (Lisa Stansfield), Mysterious Ways (U2), Between You and Me (DC Talk), Ocean Floor (Audio Adrenaline).
Okay....so this has gone far beyond just "a few" and I barely touched on some genres. Can you tell me some of your favorites?

17 comments:
This is a really hard one, Kelly!
1. Roadhouse Blues, The Doors
2. Bananafish Revolution, Samantha Crain & the Midnight Shivers
3. Bella Donna, Stevie Nicks
4. Rhiannon, Stevie Nicks
5. Gypsy, Stevie Nicks
There are too many---so many different genres. Those are just off the top of my head. Fun post. Blessings!!
What a great post. Mine will come as no surprise, I've blogged or written about them all before...
1. Stand By Me ... Ben E. King brought us this song, but my favorite versions are Otis Redding's and Aaron Neville's. I must have 3 or 4 clips of artists doing this son on my own blog. I was 7 the first time I heard it.
2. Angel... Sarah Mclachlan. I actually opened my blog with a recording of Sarah singing this song. In 1999, when my daughter Andrea, then 18, and I had little in common, one thing we shared was a love for this song.
3. Least Complicated... my favorite Indigo Girls song. Need I say more?
4. Arms of a Woman - Amos Lee; another blog favorite. His first release, and still my favorite from him.
5. Over the Rainbow... so many versions; my favorite is from Eva Cassidy. This song evokes memories of my childhood and my mom and dad like no other. Both of them used to sing it to me.
You have hit upon a difficult task.
I could always rank several songs by the Beatles,the Stones,Joan Baez,Bob Dylan and many more. Here comes my list off the top of my head:
1. Somewhere Over The Rainbow. It is a timeless song with so many great arrangements. The best will always be Judy Garland. Israel Kamakawiwo'olo's medley with Wonderful World is also fantastic.
2. American Pie by Don McLean - Came out the Fall of my Freshman year in college. And to show how time flies by it's now been over 51 years since the day the music died.
3. Let It Be - The Beatles. Greatest singer songwriters of all time and byfar their best song.
4. Me And Bobby McGee - Written by Kris Kristofferson and performed by Janis Joplin. "Freedom's just another word for nothing lest to lose".
5. Stardust - Another one of those timeless songs and the one I have the most versions of in my library. Written and performed by Hoagy Carmichael...interesting to hear him sing it. Other great versions by Nat King Cole and Willie Nelson.
Runnerups: Too many to include.
Know what song I remember your being obsessed with oh, about 35 years ago? Run to Me by the Beegies. Did I dream this?!
I could probably never name a favorite song but here are some of my tops, per genre:
1. Hymn -- Christ the Lord is Risen Today. This will be sung at my funeral.
2. Country -- You Had me at Hello by Kenny Chesney.
3. Classical -- Tie: Trumpet Voluntare (don't know composer) and Pachabel's Canon (which is way overdone by I love it).
4. Pop or whatever it was called when I was growing up, a several-way tie: Close to You by the Carpenters: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow by Carole King; So Far Away by Carole King; Sweet Baby James by James Taylor; and, this will kill you: Rocky Mountain High by John Denver.
Also love When I Get Where I'm Going by Brad Paisley; Stand By Me; Stand By Your Man by Tammy Wynette (OK, listen to the words sometime and you'll get it); Happy Trails; Edelweiss from Sound of Music; In the Garden (hymn); Crown Him with Many Crowns;
The Song Remembers When by Trisha Yearwood.
And, randomly: Yesterday by the Beatles: Layla by Eric Clapton (right?); Color My World by Chicago; and
I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me (way overdone, also, but I still cry ever time I hear it.
1. One Day (Matisyahu)
2. Closer (Kings of Leon)
3. The Chairman's Waltz (John Williams)
4. California Dreamin (Mamas and the Papas)
5. Ache (James Carrington)
Good Lord! This is impossible! My favs change by the day.
Off the top of my head in no particular order:
1. In My Room - Depeche Mode
2. Objects in the Rear view Mirror - Meatloaf
3. ANY Queen
4. Lady in Red - Chris DeBurgh
5. I will always love you - Dolly
OK. I haven't posted here in a long time, but Kelly has twisted my arm (via cell phone text!!!)
I am like Pam, they change daily.
Today:
1. Torch Song (Todd Rundgren)
2. Something (G.Harrison/Beatles)
3. Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
4. Amie (Pure Prairie League)
5. Never Going Back Again (Fleetwood
Mac)
I think "LaneyD" also LOVES "Stayin' Alive" especially the line that says, "You can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man, no time to talk . . ." Now there are some great lyrics.
Future posts should feature worst songs ever (e.g. "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro) and misunderstood lyrics ("Requesting Quiet" vs. "Big Boys Don't Cry").
Marion - I knew you'd have some Stevie Nicks on your list. I can't hear her without thinking of you (and I agree with those picks of hers). Didn't she do Leather and Lace?
Quid and Mike - I'll agree about Over the Rainbow, though I'm a purist and like Judy Garland's version best (tho I have Israel's, too. Jason Castro did a similar version on Am. Idol).
Bob - Yes, that was me and the BeeGees song. I like lots of their stuff. Eric Clapton did popularize Layla, but I think Derek and the Dominos wrote and performed it first. Sounds almost the same.
Victoria - Would you like me to harmonize with you on California Dreamin?
Pam - I went through a Depeche Mode phase, but I don't think any of their songs would rank that high for me (I think you listed my favorite), but as for Queen.... yes!
Laney - I'm glad I got you back here! Of course I associate Todd Rundgren with you! Besides the one I listed, I also love Hello It's Me.
This has been fun! I hope more folks will join in!
Bob - I have the video of Stayin Alive in my iTunes! It came as a bonus when I downloaded their greatest hits. The disco clothing (tight pants) is hilarious!
Impossible to pick only 5 songs!! Impossible.
Katherine McPhee also did "Over the Rainbow" on Idol
Hmm difficult.
1. Forever Young - Meat Loaf
2. Hungry Eyes - Eric Carman (From the Dirty Dancing film)
3. Ohne Dich - Rammstein
4. Big Girls Are Beautiful - Mika
5. There's A Bad moon On The Rise - ?
Petty Witter: Kimberly's Carousel in Put-In-Bay, OH is a wooden carousel built in 1917. It is gorgeous to look at. It made everyone laugh though. One of the songs was "There's a Bad Moon Risin'" You have not lived until you hear it played as carousel music.
I guess if I had to pick five favorites, I'd have to say
Be Thou My Vision
Like a Rock
Baker Street
Dream Weaver
100 Years
But if I think about it more, I'll probably have five more favorites in the morning that I've decided that I like better... After all there is no Crosby Stills Nash and Young on there. And no Jethro Tull. Oh. Forget it. These probably aren't my favorites after all. :)
Jenners - I bet if you gave it some thought you could come up with a few.
Tracey - Thanks to you I have Ohne Dich in my iTunes. And thanks to my son, I also have Rosenrot!
Debby - Glad to see another fan of Baker Street!!
Oh, and Bob...I couldn't stand Katherine McPhee, so I've tried to erase all her performances from my mind!
Follow up on Kelly's comment about Layla...Clapton and Derek and tdhe Dominos are one in the same. Eric Clapton started in the early 60's with the Roosters, then the Yardbirds. In 66 he formed Cream and then Blind Faith in 68. Also worked with the Plastic Ono Band. Formed Derek and the Dominos in 1970. Layla was released on an album that yeat but didn't peak at #10 until the summer of 72. He released the accoustic version in 1992. In some of the early bands, Clapton worked with musical greats like Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.
This is very hard to decide... But I'm going to give it a shot.
1. Discarnate by Design - At the Throne of Judgement
2. World of Lies - Veil of Maya
3. Unanswered - Suicide Silence
4. Purging of the Wicked - Sea of Treachery
5. Brain Damage - Pink Floyd
I'm pretty sure anyone reading this only recognizes #5.
Post a Comment