This article from the Associated Press was in my local paper today. I'm sure there is far more to this newstory than appears here, but I don't think any amount of information could help me understand how something like this could happen! It's heartbreaking.
Bentonville, AR (AP) - Police in northwest Arkansas say a toddler died after being left in a locked car for several hours Friday, when temperatures approached 100 degrees.
Bentonville police say the 14-month-old girl was left in her father's car while he was working at the David Glass Technology Center. Authorities say the father forgot to drop off the girl at her daycare center and went straight to work instead, leaving her locked in the backseat.
The girl was taken to Northwest Medical Center where she was pronounced dead. Police say the temperature was 99 degrees shortly after noon Friday.
The girl and her father haven't been identified, and the death remains under investigation.

10 comments:
"Forgot"... Oh come on. That's not possible. I don't buy it.
Thanks for this post.
Best regards, Boonsong
Happens every year.
If he forgot, God help him.
If it was apurpose, God help him.
Sad things happen in this world.
I once saw this clip of a news segment about "how not to forget about your child in your car" and they said "put something like your purse or something else you'd remember to grab to remind you of your child." I'm thinking....SERIOUSLY???? You'd remember your purse over your child? Should be the other way around. You don't forget you have a kid. If you do, you shouldn't be a parent in the first place.
I saw several news shows that touched on this subject last week. One had a woman who had 'forgotten' her daughter in the car and the child died. She said she was so stressed, overworked, sleep-deprived, etc, that she honestly thought she had dropped her child off at the daycare. What's wrong with this picture? Our values! People put work over family. Life is too fast paced and frantic. I hope and pray this opens the eyes of many. Informative post. Blessings!!
I once was so stressed that I left my car in the parking lot of my son's school, running, with the door locked. I'd been late from my busy working mom life to a conference with his teacher over the trouble he was having in the classroom. I think back on that and can't believe I did it. Thus, I cannot see how you would forget your little one in a car. Yes, it seems like it happens every year, but I just cannot imagine forgetting for this long.
So sad.
quid
Sadly, this happens around here as well as other places on a regular basis this time of year. Happened here in the area just this week.
I don't understand how it could happen, how you can just 'forget' your child is in the car. I've just never been that stressed or hurried that I could forget a child in the car. Besides I never get out of the car without looking back, if only to set the alarm.
That being said, I can't even imagine having to live with the guilt and the grief of the parent who does this and loses a child. I don't think I could live with myself.
How indeed? It makes you wonder where the father's mind was at, certainly not on the welfare of his daughter.
That said I agree with Pam - surely this man will live with guilt for the rest of his days.
I think of all the stupid things that I've done in my life, and each time I hear a story of this ilk, my first thought is 'There, for the grace of God, go I.'
I can't even comprehend that this happened.
Some people think crime fiction is scary - real life is MUCH worse. Exactly this kind of tragedy does not happen often in Scandinavia, though, but that is only because our climate is more temperate.
Post a Comment