Thanks to everyone who left a comment on the first “Favorite Five” entry. I enjoyed seeing the wide variety of movies everyone posted. This time I chose a topic I'm a little more passionate about: Albums. If I thought it was difficult narrowing down movies (looking back I can think of several I omitted), this was even harder!
I am of the vinyl record generation. I’ve progressed with the times and bought my share of CDs (never had many 8-tracks or cassettes) and now rarely buy anything other than singles from iTunes. Nothing compares, though, to the vinyl record album. Great cover art, more artwork or photos and often lyrics on the sleeve, the occasional poster, plus the warm, rich sound of vinyl. When purchasing an album, there was always a risk that the song you bought the album for might be the only song worth listening to. Then again, how often do kids today miss out on great songs because they only purchase the songs they know they like?
This time I want you to think about your favorite albums. I don’t mean the ones that have just a favorite song or two on them (favorite songs will be a whole different post), but the albums you put on so you can hear the entire thing.
My list, in no particular order, followed by a few runners up…
1. Close to the Edge (Yes) – I’ve blogged about this album before. It’s not only my favorite album, it contains my favorite song (title track) and Yes is my all-time favorite group.
2. Abbey Road (The Beatles) – I’ve always preferred late to early Beatles. Although there are a few of their songs that I might like better, this is my favorite overall… especially the songs from the medley on side two.
3. Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe (The Alan Parsons Project) - I discovered this album purely by chance. It was recommended to me by an employee of a record store I visited while on a church trip in high school. I took a chance on it and it’s been a favorite ever since.
4. Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Rick Wakeman) – I love the combination of “Prog Rock” with story theme albums and this is a fine example. Actually, Rick Wakeman (keyboardist for Yes) released several great theme albums during the 70s.
5. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) – A masterpiece! It holds the record for spending the most weeks (741) on the Billboard album chart. Its popularity continues today.
Runners up: Selling England by the Pound (Genesis), The Wall (Pink Floyd), The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (Rick Wakeman), Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), Catch Bull at Four (Cat Stevens), Back in Black (AC/DC), Duke (Genesis), Days of Future Passed (The Moody Blues), Tommy (The Who), Pyramid (The Alan Parsons Project), The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Rick Wakeman), and most any album by Yes.
- Kelly
- Making my way through the ups and downs of life, holding fast to my favorite Bible verse: "For we walk by faith, not by sight." ~2 Corinthians 5:7. I began blogging in earnest at Yahoo360 on October 24, 2005. (briefly using LiveJournal and blog-city prior to that) In June 2008 I moved to Blogger. I'm now at WordPress where I hope to remain.
Friday, October 2, 2009
Favorite Five - Albums
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I think my list would start with:
1 - Beatles White Album
2 - Beatles Abby Road
3 - Woodstock
4 - Chicago Transit Authority
5 - Bob Dylan Nashville Skyline
I always bought greatest hits albums when I could. Others include Beatles Sgt Pepper, Led Zeppelin IV, This is the Moody Blues, Queen Greatest Hits, The very best of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. I'm sure I've forgotten some. But I had all of these either on album or 8-track.
This one is too hard, Kelly! Let's see:
1. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
2. Led Zepplin - The Song Remains the Same
3. Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
4. The Beatles - Abbey Road
5. P. J. Harvey - Rid of Me
Runners up would be Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Neil Young's Harvest, and Seals and Crofts' Summer Breeze.
Ooh, that's a whole lot harder than having to name our top 5 films. Even having to name our favourite 5 singles would be easier then albums.
1.All the Meatloaf albums - particularly the older ones, please don't make me pick.
2.Ultimate Dirty Dancing by various artists.
3. War Of The Worlds
4. The live version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
5. Mika's Life In Cartoon Motion.
Marion reminded me of two more I had on 8-track in college --- Neil Young and Cat Stevens.
I wasn't that into saving my albums or 8 tracks. I have tons of cassettes and CDs.
I think the only albums I have left are:
Jim Morrison, The Doors - An American Prayer
Rod Stewart - StoryTeller
Eric Clapton - Crossroads
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - 1975-1985
Kel - what a list! I'm in different genres:
Top 5
1. "Swamp Ophelia" - Indigo Girls
2. "Kind of Blue" - Miles Davis
3. "Come Away with Me" - Norah Jones
4. "Hell Freezes Over" - The Eagles
5. "Songbird" - Eva Cassidy
Mentionables:
Bridge Over Troubled Water (S&G), The White Album (Beatles), Days of the Future Passed (Moodies), Diamonds & Rust (Joan Baez)"Bring It On Home" (Aaron Neville), "Heart Like A Wheel" (Linda Rondstadt), "When I Fall In Love" (Chris Botti)"The Stranger" (Billy Joel)"Pieces of the Sky" Emmylou Harris, "Havana Daydreaming" (Jimmy Buffet), "Born to Run" Springsteen
Well, now that I can include all my CDs, etc. I'll add that I've got every CD Metallica ever made ( including imports), anything Meatloaf, everything Queen, War of the Worlds, Les Miz, Phantom, Wagner Overtures and Preludes....
When you said albums, I took it you were including CD's in that. To make it just actual albums would change my list somewhat - I doubt Mika (my number 5) even knows what an album is/was.
Pam and I obviously have a lot in common, anything by Meatloaf (here, here), War Of The Worlds - I've even been known to listen to Metallica on the odd occassion though I generally leave that to Hubby.
Well, all I've ever had were CDs, but I will list them anyway.
1. The Arcanum Order (At the Throne of Judgment)
2. Darkside of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
3. New American Gospel (Lamb of God)
4. The Cleansing (Suicide Silence)
5. Ashes of the Wake (Lamb of God)
-Mostly just death metal there. Not to hard to guess which one is not.-
Victoria
I am seriously a child of the itunes generation. I own very few cds and zero tapes and albums. So....I purchase only songs here and there and very rarely the whole album unless it is a soundtrack. I can list a few whole albums I have though.
1. Hybrid Theory-Linkin Park I actually have all their music and love them all equally.
2. Chuck-Sum 41 Another group I have almost all their stuff.
3. Black Holes and Revelations-Muse My roommate and I have all their stuff between us and have grown to love them and their bizarro riffs.
4. One-X-Three Days Grace Have always been one of my fav groups and will likely remain so.
5. Lion King Soundtrack I don't care who you are Elton John singing about love in the jungle is just impossible to resist
Runners up: Once Soundtrack (fab indie music) Forrest Gump Soundtrack (if you love the 6os) Gavin DeGraw ( I can listen to every song on this) Twilight (Crazy but it has the perfect mix between rock and mellow and who knew rob pat could sing?)
Post a Comment