Monday, August 9, 2010

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell

This is the book I won in the June giveaway at Find Your Next Book Here. Jenners' review made it sound like a totally wild ride and now that I've read it, I'll definitely agree with that assessment!

First of all, a warning: this book contains LOTS of profanity! I found that rather off-putting. However, that would be my only complaint about the novel. Yes, it's filled with black humor, graphic "hospital" details and quite a bit of violence, but it all played into the storyline. Besides.... my family loves dark humor and neither my older daughter (an RN) nor my older brother (a pathologist) ever spared us gory details about their work. It makes for interesting dinner table conversation!

The story takes place over the space of one day. However, there are frequent flashback chapters that explain the "whys & wheres" of what's going on in the present. In a nutshell: Dr. Peter Brown (aka Pietro "Bearclaw" Brnwa) arrives for his shift at the hospital and inadvertently walks in on a patient who recognizes him from his former life (before Witness Protection) as a hit man for the Mafia. Before he can stop the chain of events from being put into motion, he's needed in another part of the hospital for an emergency. By the time that is handled, it's too late. The rest of the book is filled with a wild assortment of medical procedures, flashbacks and the effort to "beat the reaper" one last time.

Thanks again to Jenners for offering this as a giveaway. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I saw on IMDb that it's scheduled for the big screen in 2012. I don't have any details since I'm not a paid subscriber, but I did read the name "Leonardo DiCaprio" in relation to this somewhere else.

4 comments:

Pam said...

o0o0o0 sounds like a fun book!!!

Marion said...

Sounds great! You know, I never got my picture of the Australian tree I picked for winning your dogs in the window contest and now I've forgotten who it was supposed to come from! If you have her email, can you send it to me? Thanks, Kelly. Blessings!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Congratulation, I saw your win mentioned over at Jenners. Glad that, on the whole, you enjoyed the book - it sounds just like my cup of tea as well. Thanks for the review.

Jenners said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm with you ... there was an overabundance of "bad words" that I didn't think were needed. And I could totally see a movie being made of this ... though I don't know if I could stomach seeing it ... especially that last scene in the freezer!