Susan Wittig Albert has done it again! I shouldn't be surprised since she's been putting out consistently good stuff for almost twenty years. I've read all nineteen of her "China Bayles Herbal Mysteries" (plus a collection of related short stories) and the twelve books in the series she wrote with her husband under the pen name of Robin Paige. She also has a "Beatrix Potter" series which I haven't started, though I have a few of them on my shelf.
The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree is the first in a new mystery series by Albert. Set during the Great Depression in the small, fictional town of Darling, Alabama, we are introduced to the ladies of the "Darling Dahlias" - the local garden club. We first join them in May 1930. The ladies have unexpectedly inherited a new clubhouse and garden from a member who recently died. That's not the only excitement in town, though. There's an escape from the nearby prison farm, rumors are flying about troubles at the Darling Savings & Trust Bank, and the cosmetics girl (aka blond bombshell) from the local drug store disappears. Oh, and there's also the ghost that's been seen digging in the garden behind the clubhouse at night!
Albert does her usual fine job of setting time and place. The characters are likable and believable and I enjoyed that it wasn't just one storyline, but several woven together. As with her Herbal Mysteries, Albert included a few recipes at the end of the book - these in keeping with the time period. In addition, she included a list titled "Makin' Do: 12 Ways to Stretch Whatever We Have".
I've had this book on my shelf since last summer. The advantage? I don't have to wait long to read the next one! It comes out in July and I already have it pre-ordered!
This was my eighth book for the Cozy Mystery Challenge.
The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree is the first in a new mystery series by Albert. Set during the Great Depression in the small, fictional town of Darling, Alabama, we are introduced to the ladies of the "Darling Dahlias" - the local garden club. We first join them in May 1930. The ladies have unexpectedly inherited a new clubhouse and garden from a member who recently died. That's not the only excitement in town, though. There's an escape from the nearby prison farm, rumors are flying about troubles at the Darling Savings & Trust Bank, and the cosmetics girl (aka blond bombshell) from the local drug store disappears. Oh, and there's also the ghost that's been seen digging in the garden behind the clubhouse at night!
Albert does her usual fine job of setting time and place. The characters are likable and believable and I enjoyed that it wasn't just one storyline, but several woven together. As with her Herbal Mysteries, Albert included a few recipes at the end of the book - these in keeping with the time period. In addition, she included a list titled "Makin' Do: 12 Ways to Stretch Whatever We Have".
I've had this book on my shelf since last summer. The advantage? I don't have to wait long to read the next one! It comes out in July and I already have it pre-ordered!
This was my eighth book for the Cozy Mystery Challenge.


1 comment:
Great review... I have a couple of hers at home that I haven't started. I keep meaning to get involved!
quid
Post a Comment