Friday, May 6, 2011

Fish, No Fish, and Cicadas

I currently have two tropical fish tanks, a 23-gallon hex-front flat-back in the kitchen and a 55-gallon rectangular tank in the living room.  The kitchen tank houses a gourami and a tiger barb.  The larger tank has two glowlight tetras and three large silverdollar fish.  I recently saw the cutest little angelfish at WalMart and decided to buy some for both tanks.  In addition, I got a plecostomus for each tank to cut down on the need for algae scraping.  *sigh*  My fish obviously didn't roll out the welcome-wagon for the newcomers.  Both the plecostomus and the angel I put in the small tank are dead.  I found the bones of the former this morning and all traces of the latter were gone within the first 24 hours!  Of the three angels and one plecostomus I put in the larger tank, only one lone angel remains.  I've noticed it hides all the time.  Good luck little angel!

We've had so much wind and bad weather lately we haven't been able to do any fishing.  We finally gave it a go yesterday evening.  Temperatures have been fairly chilly during the past week and there is a lot of new water in the pond, so I wasn't sure how well we would do.  It was really slow at first, but my husband ended up catching three - one of them fairly large.  Me?  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  The sad thing is I forgot to carry my camera with me and I missed some nice photo opportunities.  Cows, Cormorants, Canada Geese....all sorts of nice "naturey" things.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time.

I should have waited a week to post about the Cicadas.  The volume of their "singing" has doubled and there's no doubt now what is making it.  It's truly amazing!! 

7 comments:

Pam said...

I hate it when that happens to my fish!!! I lost one molly not long ago when I, evidently, scared it in passing at night and it jumped out of the tank and landed behond it. I didn't find it until the next day.

Goldie's doing great in her new and bigger tank after the old, smaller one leaked and she jumped out of the little bowl I had her in before getting her in the new tank. Close call for ole Goldie!!

Also lost my old Cory Cat. last week and had to get a new one. It's tiny and hiding right now.

Marion said...

Yea! I can finally access your blog. For some reason, Blogger often won't let me open your page. Go figure!

I'm sorry about your fish. We tried fish when the kids were little, but our love of cats did the fish in. Yes, the cats ate them. LOL! The weather has been awesome...these cool nights and humidless days have been magical. I only hope the flooding of the Mighty Mississippi doesn't bring the backwater of the Mighty Red River to my back steps.

I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend.

Love & Blessings,
Marion

Jenners said...

Wow. It is rough in your fish tank!

quid said...

Oh, no. Hate it when the fish can't even have the chance to thrive. So warm here, so soon, but a lovely Mother's day. Hope yours is happy!

quid

Dimple said...

We have a 20 gallon tank that currently has 3 lemon tetras and a rather large plecostomus, but introducing new fish into an established community has its difficulties. We have had plecostomus deaths from starvation and once from a territorial pictus catfish, and gave up on angels because they were always in some sort of hard time, even when they had grown up.
I have learned, when considering adding new fish, to ask advice of an employee of the store. Also, I only buy at a pet store, because I don't think places like Wal-Mart train their employees about fish interactions and compatibility.

Kelly said...

Marion - I'm so glad you were able to get into my blog...I've missed you!!

Dimple - unfortunately my small town doesn't have a petstore anymore. That was where I always shopped when I started out years ago. I'm sure I've been keeping fish since before some of the kids that wait on me at WM were even born!! I wanted to try angels again since I did have one that lived for 12 years or more.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am sorry to hear about your
fish.
******
And I appreciated Ookpik's
picture for Shadow Shot Sunday.
He is precious but a bit wild.
Raven