- Kelly
- Making my way through the ups and downs of life, holding fast to my favorite Bible verse: "For we walk by faith, not by sight." ~2 Corinthians 5:7. I began blogging in earnest at Yahoo360 on October 24, 2005. (briefly using LiveJournal and blog-city prior to that) In June 2008 I moved to Blogger. I'm now at WordPress where I hope to remain.
Monday, April 25, 2011
The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
Flavia de Luce, the precocious chemistry-whiz eleven-year-old, is back in The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley. I enjoyed Bradley's first "Flavia de Luce" mystery (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie), but this one was even better!
When noted puppeteer Rupert Porson makes an unexpected stop in Flavia's small village, he agrees to put on a performance of "Jack and the Beanstalk" for the locals. However, the villagers get more than they bargained for when, instead of the giant's body, it is Porson that drops to the stage. Dead. Flavia puts her extraordinary talents to use and quickly finds out Porson wasn't a stranger to their village after all. Question is... which of those who knew him had the most motive to kill him?
As in the first novel, I was truly amazed at Flavia's abilities. Obviously a prodigy! I can't say I'm particularly fond of some of the secondary characters, but Flavia more than makes up for this with her charm. It's certainly a series I will continue to read.
This was my fourth book for the Cozy Mystery Challenge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sounds like a good book--I'll keep the title in the back of my mind when I go to the bookstore. Like your shadow shot--who, exactly, empties the wasp catcher? Your corny chicken bake sounds good too. Have a good week. Mickie :)
Kelly,
A very good review, and this
sounds like an interesting series.
******
Also, I appreciated your shot
of the wasp catcher for Shadow
Shot Sunday (and Fiery Spirit
has some experience with wasp
catchers).
Raven
I should check out this series. I have several friends that adore the first book, but for some reason I haven't gotten to it yet.
Great review! :)
What a great title for a book, I also loved The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.
I just love Flavia! I think her next book is out now...something about mustard in the title.
Post a Comment