Monday, April 11, 2011

Mourning Gloria by Susan Wittig Albert


Many authors who have long-running series end up in a slump at some point.  I've found this to be true with a number of the authors I read and Susan Wittig Albert is no exception.  However, I thought Mourning Gloria - her 19th in the China Bayles herbal mysteries - to be much better than her recent offerings.  

China is driving home on a summer night when she happens on a house trailer engulfed in flames.  After calling 911, she approaches the structure only to hear someone frantically crying out.  Despite her efforts, she's not able to help and is haunted by the death of the unidentified woman.  Jessica, the young intern reporter assigned to cover the fire, gets too emotionally involved having lost her parents and twin sister in a house fire years before.  When it becomes apparent that the fire was an arson/murder, she delves even deeper in an attempt to solve the crime herself.  Once Jessica disappears, China feels an obligation to retrace the reporter's steps in an attempt to find her before Jessica also loses her life. 

The herbal focus in this novel is "psychoactive" or "mood-enhancing" plants.  As always, Albert cleverly weaves interesting folklore and scientific information about these plants throughout the book and into the storyline itself.  Albert is good about filling the reader in on each of her characters and situations, so the novel could be read and enjoyed as a stand alone.  However, I recommend starting from the beginning to fully appreciate the depth of the series. 

This was my second book for the 2011 Cozy Mystery Challenge.

4 comments:

Betty Manousos said...

Sounds interesting!

I've read that some plants have therapeutic benefits, btw;
and i love reading books which have a combination of folklore and scientific info...that make them such an interesting and pleasant read.
Thanks for sharing!

Happy Monday!
B xx

Dorte H said...

You have a very important point here.

I have noticed that some of the ambitious writers (i.e. writers who don´t just follow an old formula but do their best to develop) begin a new series now and then, sometimes before *I* want them to move on, and that may be because they have realized there is no more potential in a certain protagonist or setting.

Marion said...

I've read and loved all of her books. I just hate that she stole my ideas for writing herbal mysteries. LOL! I just requested this one from the library yesterday and can't wait to read it. Great review, girl!!!

Love & Blessings,
Marion

Kelly said...

Dorte - There are some I've thought should move on, but I'm glad Albert kept plugging along since this one was quite good!

Marion - I think you're going to really like this one!!