Monday, April 18, 2011

Death and Judgment by Donna Leon



Death and Judgment is the fourth book in the "Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery Series" by Donna Leon.  I read it as my third book for the Cozy Mystery Challenge.

The book begins with the crash of a cargo truck in the mountains of Northern Italy where an interesting discovery is made among the wreckage.  This is followed by the murder of a prominate Venetian lawyer, shot at point blank range on the train between Padua and Venice.


As Brunetti begins his investigation of the murder, he is contacted by Capitano Della Corte of the Padua police.  A successful accountant has committed suicide there and his phone records show a connection to the victim in Brunetti's case.  Working together, Brunetti and Della Corte find more similarities in their cases.  The deeper they delve, the uglier it gets and soon the case takes a personal turn. 

The more I get to know Commissario Brunetti and his family, the more I appreciate the sophisticated intelligence with which these novels are written.  He's a moral man, struggling to deal with right and wrong in a complicated world.  Leon is not afraid to tackle serious topics, yet inserts just enough dry humor to keep the story from becoming too ponderous.  I look forward to reading many more in this excellent series. 

3 comments:

quid said...

Great review! I'm gonna get to these books...I keep telling myself!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I keep meaning to reserve a copy of these at the library as I know you enjoy them so much. I'm glad that this installment didn't disappoint as so often happens with serials.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
As with your posts of "Sword at Sunset" and "West With The Night", an excellent, informative and sincere review. And as you know I am very glad that you enjoyed all of these so very much.
Raven