Friday, April 15, 2011

Stormy Ramblings

We've had some wild weather the past 24 hours. When I went to bed last night, I knew that storms were headed my way and we were under a tornado watch. That didn't really bother me since we are often under tornado watch this time of year. Still... I kept waking up in anticipation of the storm. That and the fact that the moon is waxing and bright moonlight always disrupts my sleep.

It hit shortly after 3:00 a.m. Oh my!  The wind, rain, thunder, and lightning were fierce!!  No tornado, but the storm was powerful. By 4:00 a.m. the power was out. The storm had blown through, but I kept waking up to see if the electricity had come back on.

When the power hadn't come back on by mid-morning, my husband hooked up our generator (welding unit). You know, we take so many things for granted in our lives. When our power goes out we also lose the pump on our water well. Fortunately, we just got a bigger holding tank for our well and didn't have to hook the generator through the well.  Since it was daylight I didn't really miss the lights. I think I was happiest to hear the hum of the refrigerator and the filters in my fish tanks when we switched on the generator.

The power came back on about 4:00 p.m., hours earlier than had been promised. It was then I realized that the extra fridge we have, one that came from my MIL's house after her death, hadn't come back on when we switched over to the generator! Some of the stuff in the freezer portion had started to thaw. So... that pretty much decided what I would fix for supper.

In retrospect, I realize just how blessed we were. The storms were much worse in many places causing much damage and taking several lives. If the worse thing we experienced was losing a few items from our freezer, I really can't complain. God is good and I'm thankful.

8 comments:

Bob said...

We had it too. It seemed to have started in OK and headed east. Susan and I were in a restaurant last night and the lights went out just as we were finishing. Fortunately they had emergency lighting like you. Got home and we had not lost power. Much cooler this (Sat.) morning. Typical spring in this South!

quid said...

I'm glad it wasn't any worse, Kel... I was thinking about you.

quid

Full-On-Forward said...

AMEN--Sis! We were blessed as it fizzled out when it got to SC! We had the warnings, but so far only 30-35 mph Winds!

God is good!


John

Mike said...

Glad you survived the storms. 7 killed total in the state with two in Little Rock. The NWS now confirms an EF1 tornado traveling 3.9 miles thru the center of the city. Luckily it was east of us.

Betty Manousos said...

aww, glad it wasn't any worse.
i heard that on tv.
hope the weather gets better.

big hugs!

betty xx

Pam said...

The storm that blasted quickly through us then up you way and on to devastate the Carolinas was some fierce tantrum!! I do NOT like these kinds of storms.

Actually, I don't like thunder, lightening, hail or wind. Sppeaking of wind...it's been a constant thing around here for the past few weeks! Strong again today.


We're having really serious fires west of us.

LL Cool Joe said...

Glad you were safe. I hate having no power, it really makes you appreciate it when it comes back on!

Jenners said...

Last summer we had a storm that left us without power for 28 hours. It does make you appreciate it!