Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pulled Pork Barbeque and Sauce




Do you remember the promise I made you here?

I knew I wanted to try the pulled pork recipe found at the back of
Delicious and Suspicious and when I saw a pork butt (which comes from the shoulder, oddly enough) in just the right size at WalMart last week, I jumped at the opportunity. I was filled with anticipation as the aroma of slowly roasting pork wafted through my home on Friday. As I put together the sauce I realized I didn't have any chili powder, but I didn't let that worry me. My husband doesn't like his food very spicy and I already knew I would cut back on the cayenne, so I didn't think it would hurt to just leave it out.

Okay...let me cut to the chase. This was the most delicious pulled pork barbeque I think I've ever eaten in my life!! Tender. Succulent. Flavorful. It defies description!! I will definitely make this again (and again, and again). I wrote the author and she graciously gave me permission to share the recipe with you here. Enjoy!



Pulled Pork Barbeque and Sauce

Dry rub for the pork:

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 (5-7 pound) pork roast, preferable shoulder or Boston butt

Mix all the ingredients (except the pork) in a bowl and rub the mixture on the pork. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 300F degrees. Roast the pork in a roasting pan for 6 hours (until it's 170F degrees), or until it falls apart.
When the pork is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. While it's still warm, pull the pork with a fork. Serve on hamburger buns with sauce.

And now for the sauce:

2 cups ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1-1/4 cups brown sugar
1-1/4 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Over medium heat, mix the ingredients in a large saucepan until it bubbles.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for up to 20 minutes.


11 comments:

Marion said...

Oh, it looks beyond delicious, Kelly!! (We're going to the Red River Revel on October 9. Might you come, too?) Blessings!!

Pam said...

Totally yummy sounding!!!! My mouth is watering....

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Obviously a cultural thing so please excuse what may be taken for my ignorance. Here in England tomato sauce is also known as ketchup, they are one and the same thing and yet there is obviously a difference in the US - may I ask what it is.

Kelly said...

Marion - that would be so fun! I've never been. I'll have to check, but I probably won't get to. Thanks for lettinge know!

Tracy - both are tomato based, but ketchup is a condiment and usually sweeter and thicker than tomato sauce which comes in a can (tin) and is uses for cooking. Then to confuse you even more we have tomato paste which is even thicker and used for cooking.

Jen said...

It's been a long time since I've had pulled pork and this sounds yummy...except I usually skip the bun.

Well I hope they get more of that moisturizer soon. If you ever decide you want a sample of any of the ANEW items, let me know and I'll mail you one.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Thanks, Jen. Oh..and I did eat my share of it just piled on a plate with sauce (and even without)

Pamel... If you'll ever come visit again I'll make this for you!

Dorte H said...

Tomatoes or tomartoes, that is the question!

How funny that you tried out one of Elizabeth´s recipes :D

Bob said...

LOVE barbecue but have never been able to make it at home very well. Thanks for a great recipe.

Kelly said...

Dorte - this was such a hit I now want to try some of her other recipes.

Bob - if I can do it, anyone can!

Jenners said...

This is our new "go to" meal so I'm going to have to try this one.