Monday, January 31, 2011

End of month ramblings

Usually February is the month that seems to drag on forever (despite being the shortest), but this felt like an extra-long January. I'm not sure someone didn't sneak some extra days in there somewhere!

I got a good start on my reading challenges by completing seven books this month! That's great for a slow reader like me. I usually do well to get three or four read in a month. (still contemplating the idea of someone slipping in some extra days)

Remember the donkeys I featured in a
Shadow Shot Sunday post earlier this month? They're gone!! Turns out our livestock partner found a taker for them. They left before I even knew we were giving them away! I'll miss hearing them bray in the mornings. My husband says he won't miss them. They were greedy and got in the way when feeding the cows.

Duck season is over for another year. After all my enthusiam at
the beginning of the 09/10 season, I haven't been back since. Oh well. It's gotten where I prefer dove hunting and I did get to do that several times last fall. Speaking of.... it's time I pull some of the little birds out of the freezer and prepare them for my husband. He loves my dove in mushroom gravy.

Mabel had a rough weekend. She must have eaten something in the yard that she shouldn't have. Projectile vomiting is one thing, but projectile diar...... well, I won't go into detail. Let's just say I don't know who I felt worse for, her for being sick or me for having to clean up after her!

Moving right along, it's been a month filled with wild swings in temperature. Hot, cold, warm, cool. Saturday it got up to 73F (23C). Another cold front is coming, though, and by tomorrow night it's supposed to get down to 25F (-4C) with a high Wednesday of 35F (2C). What I really dislike is when it's very cold at night, yet warms up considerably during the day. Makes it hard to know how to dress.

Enough ramblings for one day!

12 comments:

Dorte H said...

I have always loathed January - cold, dark and dreary - but I have noticed that since I began blogging & write more fiction, I don´t notice January as much as earlier. So having two wonderful hobbies makes the winter seem shorter.

Jen said...

Are you sure you're not my neighbor? You're describing the weather here. Layers...

Bragger said...

The temps are low enough....you don't have to put them in Celsius! Ha ha ha. My post tonight is going to be ramblings too. Must be the end-of-the-month doldrums or something.

Pam said...

Well, Sis, as you know, I love the cold and can't wait for the new front to blow down in a few hours. Not too keen on the freezing rain and sleet but the snow sounds good. Also, we're due to have a high or 30 tomorrow and 22 on Wed! Talk about cold!!!!

Sorry to hear about poor Mabel's ailments!!! Sounds pretty yucky!!

quid said...

Poor Mabel!

I think I kept up with you this month. I read:

"I'd Know You Anywhere" - Lippman

"Wolf Hall" - Mantel (re read)

"The Sentry" - Robert Crais

"Life" - Keith Richards

"The Note" - Angela Hunt

"The Reversal" - Michael Connelly

"Blindman's Bluff" - Faye Kellerman

A good month for reading!

Victoria said...

Poor mabes. And you. I've done a bunch of reading this month too. Just not the fun, relaxing kind.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I have to say that I usually feel that someone has added a couple of days to January but not this year.

Sad to hear the donkeys are gone and about Mabel, poor thing - it always amazes me how such little creatures can produce so much bodily waste, where does it all come from?

Anonymous said...

I wish you a great February.
I’ll miss the donkeys too - which reminds me, did I tell you that I woke up feeling a little hoarse this morning….

All the best, Boonie

Kelly said...

Dorte - Actually, your hobbies help me pass my time, too.
:)

Quid - your list looks great!

Boonie - I suggest you hit the hay early tonight.

quid said...

"Hit the hay".... how Arkansas! How Minnesota!

We never said it in NY :)

Jenners said...

Good job on the reading! We're about even!

And those donkeys sound like real "asses." HAHAHAHAHA!

Kelly said...

Hey Quid, one good pun deserves another!

Jenners - hahahahahha!