Before we continue, let me clarify things. Don't confuse the soundtrack for a movie with its score. For example... everyone is familiar with the musical score for the original Star Wars movie. However, that's not what I'm talking about here. That can be a whole different post for another time. What I am referring to are the albums that are released containing specific songs, usually by various artists, that appear in a movie.
1. Boogie Nights (and Boogie Nights 2) - This should have been released as a double CD rather than making you buy both! Despite the title of the movie (which is actually about a porn star), it's not just disco music.
2. Forrest Gump - This one is a double CD. One of the best things about it is the wide range of years the music covers, just like Forrest's life.
3. Beverly Hills 90210: The College Years - I never liked this TV show and haven't seen the movie. I only got the CD because of one specific song (before the days of iTunes and individual purchases). Fortunately the rest of the CD was good.
4. Blues Brothers 2000 - A lot of the music on this CD includes the Blues Brothers Band, but that's okay since they're quite good in their own right. Includes Blues Traveler, Erykah Badu, The Louisiana Gator Boys, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Jonny Lang, and more.
5. The Fighting Temptations - This is a fun, feel-good movie with some great music from such varied artists as Beyonce, The O'Jays, Shirley Caesar, Missy Elliott and others.
Worth mentioning: Almost Famous, Good Morning Vietnam, In the Name of the Father, Mr. Holland's Opus, The Fifth Element.
I hope I haven't blurred the line between soundtrack and score with any of my choices, especially the "worth mentioning" picks. I've included a link to Amazon for the top five so you can see what songs appear on each album.
How about you? Are there any particular movies with great songs that you want to mention?

11 comments:
I totally agree with Forrest gump. Others that should be considered are "the big chill" and "watchmen"
For me it would be "Stand By Me".
Those are some great ones, Kelly. My favorites are:
1. Harold & Maude (Cat Stevens)
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. A Hard Days Night (Beatles)
4. Saturday Night Fever (Bee Gees)
5. The Graduate (Simon & Garfunkle)
In no particular order...
1. The Breakfast Club
2. St. Elmo's Fire
3. Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor
4. Boogie Nights
5. The Lion King/ Saturday Night Live
Of course, that should have read "Saturday Night Fever" Duh...
This is an interesting list, but I’m surprised that Grease and The Sound of Music didn't make the final five.
Have a nice day, Boonie
I'd have to go with O Brother Where Art Thou?
You've all made some great suggestions!
Mike - I'm not sure what's in the Watchmen, but I know the Big Chill had some great music.
Joey - I saw that movie again not too long ago. Good choice for music!
Marion, Tracy - You both mentioned O Brother Where Art Thou. My husband loves that movie AND the soundtrack!! The music certainly sticks in your head, LOL!
Pamel - I knew what you meant. It was already on my brain from Marion. :) Yep, lots of good BeeGees music. There are several of those Disney movies with really good music!!
Boonie - Both good choices. You know, I never even thought about old musicals like The Sound of Music. Do(e) a deer, a female deer....
My top fave soundtrack is O Brother Where Art Thou? I sing along when we play it.
1. "O Brother Where Art Thou?" tops my list.
2. "Love, Actually" ... one of the real sleeper romances of our times.. a mix of Christmas and romance songs
3. "Remember the Titans"... eclectic 70's, football, and you got to watch Denzel with it....
4. "Juno"... lots of Kimya Dawson, perfect with the movie (that's one of my criteria... not how much did you like the songs, but how well did they fit the movie?)
5. Crazy Heart... talk about great music!
6. "Michael"... the crazy movie with John Travolta as an angel
7. All of the soundtracks from Ally McBeal...I'm a big Vonda Shepherd fan
8. "The Big Chill"... first album, not the second
9, "The Commitments"... first album, not the second...really cool because the band in the movie played them, not the original artists
10. Mamma Mia! Because I'm a sucker for ABBA...
How about that! More OBWAT fans! Tracy (Petty Witter) even posted a clip from the movie on her blog Saturday!
Post a Comment