Who Killed Palomino Molero? by Mario Vargas Llosa takes place in 1950s Peru and opens with the discovery of the body of a young airman from the local military base who has been murdered in a most gruesome manner.
Lieutenant Silva and Officer Lituma proceed to investigate the case, determined to get to the bottom of things - even if it means stepping on the toes of "the big guys" (who often seem to silence those who overstep their bounds). They must work hard for every clue they uncover as fear and corruption seem to thwart them at every turn.
In addition to being a well-crafted mystery, this short novel educated me on some of the racial aspects of this part of the world. I always enjoy a novel that piques my curiosity and has me looking up words and events to learn more. (in this case, for example, the word "cholo")
Overall, I enjoyed this novel despite a little more usage of the "F-bomb" than I normally like. It counts as my first South American novel for the Global Reading Challenge.


5 comments:
Sounds good, Kelly. I hate the way some authors just gratuitously pepper the "F" word around. I don't mind it ever so often, but like you said, it can be overdone.
I'm reading one of my favorite authors of ALL TIME: Robert Crais. His new 'Joe Pike' novel is "The Sentry". He canNOT write a bad book. Tee-Hee.
It's really cold here, too, but supposed to warm up a bit and rain. Good reading weather.
Love & Blessings,
Marion
Sounds like a good start to your challenge. I don't mind the F-bomb ... as long as it is serves a purpose and isn't gratuitous.
I'm with Jenners. Sounds like a nice start to your challenge.
Have a great weekend!
Stay safe and warm!
Big hugs to you!
Bxx
I think this one is an excellent choice for the global challenge.
I am not in favour of the f-word either, but I found it more acceptable in these tough surroundings than in my own. It was an unusual book for me, but that was definitely part of the attraction.
Great start on the challenge! Keep up the good work.
I'm not a fan of the F word either, but this sounds like an attempt by the author to potray the characters as they would truly behave and speak. That can make the story better, drawing you more completely into their world.
Post a Comment