
The full title is: Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays. Bob has been urging me to read this book ever since he found out it was in my TBR pile. I should have followed his advice sooner.
This has to be one of the most entertaining books I have read in a long time! A Southern funeral is not just an activity in which deceased is eulogized and buried... it's an event. An event with rules and rituals. Metcalfe and Hays, both Mississippi Delta natives, share these rules and rituals in a fun, light-hearted book filled with recipes and running commentary. Although I live in Arkansas rather than Mississippi, and not even in the Delta region of my state, I found so many things I could relate to! Not only is the book hilarious, the recipes included look delicious. Of course being the good Southern Lady that I am, I already have my own versions of many of the recipes included. However, there are some that I have never prepared and may have to try in the future. You certainly don't have to be from the American South to enjoy this book.
This has to be one of the most entertaining books I have read in a long time! A Southern funeral is not just an activity in which deceased is eulogized and buried... it's an event. An event with rules and rituals. Metcalfe and Hays, both Mississippi Delta natives, share these rules and rituals in a fun, light-hearted book filled with recipes and running commentary. Although I live in Arkansas rather than Mississippi, and not even in the Delta region of my state, I found so many things I could relate to! Not only is the book hilarious, the recipes included look delicious. Of course being the good Southern Lady that I am, I already have my own versions of many of the recipes included. However, there are some that I have never prepared and may have to try in the future. You certainly don't have to be from the American South to enjoy this book.
I read this as a "book with a life stage in the title" (being dead) for the What's In A Name challenge.

5 comments:
Oooh, I love the title of this one. I'll have to see if I can find it at the library!!!
Kelly, I got my photo prompts for Magpie Tales here.
What a neat choice for the challenge. And I do think that there can be an "art" to funerals and the rituals (and food) can help.
What a hoot!!!! Sounds like a fun read!
It certainly sounds fun.
Sounds like a fun read!
Big hugs!
B xx
Post a Comment