Monday, November 1, 2010

Soil and Soul

The Arkansas Delta might be one of the poorest regions of the United States, but it's an area that is rich in musical culture and heritage, particularly the Blues. A friend told me about a website that offers a free CD of Delta music just for the asking. So, I asked and this is what they sent me.


In addition to the CD (which includes music from artists like Albert King, Al Green, Johnny Cash and Charlie Rich) there is a DVD of interviews with several musicians discussing the history of the Blues and the music it relates to such as Southern Gospel, Country, Jazz, Rockabilly and Rock & Roll. The brochure pictured with the CD/DVD is a promotional travel guide for the Arkansas Delta.

To get your own CD/DVD (it appears to be limited to those in the US), click on this link:
Arkansas Delta Byways.

Thanks for letting me know about this wonderful freebie, Jamie!

8 comments:

Pam said...

How interesting!

Jen said...

It's been a long ttime since I listened to blues. What songs are on it? It might be worth the effort just for Johnny Cash.

Marion said...

Sounds like some great music. I subscribe to the "Oxford American" magazine. It used to be in Mississippi, but moved to Arkansas. Every quarter I get a music issue with a CD loaded with all kinds of country, folk, blues and jazz. It's always good...and so is the writing in the magazine, too.

I'm going to order this CD. I love Johnny Cash and Charlie Rich. Thanks for sharing it. Love & Blessings!

Anonymous said...

It looks good. Maybe I’ll move to the US and order a copy…..

Have a nice day, Boonie

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Me too Boonie.

Kelly said...

Pamel - Not sure it's your kind of music, but hey... it's free!

Jen - The Cash song is "Five Feet High & Rising". Go ahead and get it!

Marion - I've never seen the Oxford American. I need to check it out since it really sounds interesting!

Boonie & Tracy - Come on over!!

Betty Manousos said...

I love the Blues!!
These look like great music choices.

B xx
X

quid said...

What a cool post. The CD looks wonderful!

quid