Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Double

I was preparing lunch on Sunday and was startled to see two yolks when I cracked open an egg. It's been years since I saw or even thought about a double yolk egg. I called my husband over to look at it before taking a quick photo with my phone.





After stirring it in I decided I needed another egg. It was another double yolk!! What are the chances?! While looking for some facts online, I came across several links to a story about a woman in the UK who found not one, but six eggs with a double yolk.... all in the same carton! Click
here for the story. I have to admit, it took a little of the thrill out of my two-egg find.

But....I still have ten more eggs in my carton.

11 comments:

WhiteStone said...

My Mom raised chickens when I was growing up and sold eggs in town. As the hens matured and as the summer days were at their best, the hens would occasionally lay a double yolk. Those eggs were usually a slight bit larger than the ordinary ones.

Dorte H said...

We never find two yolks in industrial eggs. I think they see them as ´flaws´. If you buy your eggs privately, it is not so unusual. Some hens lay many of them and as whitestone says, they are often large (all the better).

Marion said...

Go buy a lotto ticket! LOL! My daughter raises chickens and they see double yokes often. It's amazing the difference in fresh eggs and supermarket eggs. The fresh yokes are almost orange! Blessings!

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh yeah that is unusual, the last time I saw a double yoke was when I was a kid. Mind you I don't cook so the last time I saw a raw egg would have been about the same time! :D

Kelly said...

Well, I guess since these were commercial eggs, that makes my find a little more unusual.

Good thing I didn't buy that lottery ticket, Marion. I used the rest of the carton while baking stuff for our Holiday Bazaar tomorrow and none of the others were doubles!

I cook all the time, Joey, but I'm not expecting to find more any time soon. I figure it'll be a lifetime before I see another!

Pam said...

Wow! That's interesting!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I can match your two double-yolkers but six? Now that is impressive.

quid said...

Oh... no more doubles. I loved the suspense.


quid

Jenners said...

I think I would have cracked open the rest of the eggs just out of curiosity.

Does this mean you have good luck?

Kelly said...

Sis - :)

Tracy - for some reason your "I can match" makes me feel like we're playing poker!! "I'll raise you three yolks..."

Quid - I was kinda relieved since I didn't know how a double yolk would work in my cake recipes (would that count as one egg or two??).

Jenners - Believe me, it was tempting... but I knew I needed to save them for later in the week. My husband tells me I'm lucky all the time....to be married to him!

BB said...

Heh - great post. I've NEVER cracked a double yolker... and to do TWO consecutively is really quite amazing.

I would do my head in with the maths as to how that affected my cake, if it were me. Couldn't handle the pressure!!
:-)
BB