Last night we tried this recipe from Simple & Delicious magazine. (Contributed by Kourtney Williams of Mechanicsville, VA.) Two out of three of us liked it. The only change I made was to add some purple onion while browning the pork.
Sausage & Spinach Calzones
1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage
1 tube (13.8 oz.) refrigerated pizza crust
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2-2/3 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, unroll pizza crust; pat into a 15-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Cut into four rectangles. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over half of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
Drain sausage. Add spinach; cook and stir over medium heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the ricotta cheese, salt and pepper; spread over mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal.
Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.

8 comments:
Sounds yummy, but I visualize the late husband and sister propped up at the table eathing it with me! LOL!
"eathing" AND eating with me! LOL! I was distracted by the dead bodies dining with me!
Eating or Earthing?
I didn't think that people dug up ex-spouses? Most people I know are much more keen to bury them....
Have a nice day.
All the best, Boonsong
Nothing stranger than folk, there really are some very, very strange people out there.
You cracked me up with this post. As I just finished reading "Dracula" and am now reading an ancient novel about a female vampire that predated Dracula, I'm totally into the Undead. LOL! I found the novel, "Carmilla" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu free online for my Kindle. It's a classic. I'm falling head over heels for Gothic literature. It's mesmerizing and I'm learning lots of new words. LOL! Happy Hump Day. Blessings!
Yuck! I love fictional crime, but the things real people do ... (In fact I have written a story about a husband who kept his late wife in the bed next to him, but it does not seem scary at all when it comes out of my own brain).
Well, that was quite a post title! Now you've put me off of calzones ... thank you very much.
OK so who didn't like it????
Post a Comment