Our small garden got off to a rather slow start this year, but things have taken off in the past few weeks. We've had lots of summer squash and more tomatoes than we bargained for. The only tomatoes we planted were the yellow variety I started from seed earlier in the spring. However, tons of "volunteer" cherry tomato plants popped up in our plot. Instead of weeding some of them out, my husband just let them all do their own thing. As a result, we ended up with a jungle of tomato plants!! It's made for a near impossible job of picking, but I've done the best I could.


The best way to eat tomatoes is sliced and salted, right off the vine. I posted my favorite tomato recipe in an entry here. I've enjoyed reversing the colors on it this summer with yellow tomatoes and red onions rather than red tomatoes and yellow onions!


9 comments:
I love home-grown tomatoes. So much better than those flavorless things sold at the grocery store.
Great post. Your photos made my mouth water - really. Thanks for this.
All the best, Boonsong
So much nicer than mass-produced tomatoes, you can't beat home grown. Your dishes look wonderful, the combination of colours beautiful.
So much nicer than mass-produced tomatoes, you can't beat home grown. Your dishes look wonderful, the combination of colours beautiful.
I like tomatoes also. But it's two years since I grew them. We don't have the heat that ripens them.
But even so, there is nothing like eating them off the vine. I do find though that a sprinkle of sugar along with the salt adds a little something.
Mama's Tomato and Onion Salad, my fav!!!
Wish I hadsome of your cherry tom. I cook with them all the time when I make my favorite penne pasta recipe. Yum!
I'd like some of your squash, too!
Been visiting the Farmer's Market that sets up behind Trish's new store on Fri. Hoping to find some Lady creme peas this week. They had them last week but didn't think to send money to get them.
What a beautiful harvest, Kelly! I didn't get as much squash as I'd hoped, but enjoyed the little we did get. Blessings!
Tomatoes from South Arkansas . . . doesn't get much better than that.
I totally enjoyed this post!
What a beautiful harvest, Kelly!
The yellow tomatoes look just great!
Happy Sunday!
B xx
Post a Comment