For my first book in the Cozy Mystery Challenge which began this month, I read Holly Blues by Susan Wittig Albert.Holly Blues is the 18th book in the China Bayles Herbal Mystery series. Susan Wittig Albert does a good job in each book of introducing the main players and filling the reader in on any important back stories. This allows readers to jump right in without having to start from the beginning of the series, although I would still recommend starting with the first book.
This one has China back in Pecan Springs, TX... where most of the books take place. Her husband's ex-wife (and mother of his child) has shown up unexpectedly and manages to play on China's sympathies, getting herself invited to stay with them for the Christmas holidays. In very short order the storyline she has fed China falls apart leading to a number of unanswered questions. One disappearance, two deaths, and law enforcement from three towns keep China, her husband McQuaid, and her best friend Ruby busy until all the questions have been answered.
While certainly not Albert's best offering, I thought it was entertaining and worth the time spent reading.

3 comments:
Glad to hear you are stilling enjoying this series. The last one I read was Bleeding Hearts, looks like I'm 4 behind and need to play catch up.
Not familiar with this author. But, then, I just wish I had time to read all the to-read books awaiting me at this point.
*Sigh* I wish I had time to breathe! LOL!
Arghhhhhh, I'm 2 books behind on Ms. Albert's books! I'm behind on all of my regular authors. So many books, so little time. I'll have to look this one up at the library and request it. Thanks for mentioning it. Being an avid herb gardener, I've always enjoyed her mysteries with recipes. Blessings!
Post a Comment