Here’s a quote from my daily CQOD that I thought was rather interesting:
"Men perish with whispering sins, nay with silent sins, sins that never tell the conscience that they are sins, as often as with crying sins; and in hell there shall meet as many men that never thought what was sin, as that spent all their thoughts in the compassing of sin."
... John Donne (1573-1631), Works of John Donne, vol. I,
London: John W. Parker, 1839, Sermon XIV, p. 276
In addition, here’s another Jane Kenyon poem I read yesterday and really liked:
Full Moon in Winter
Jane Kenyon
Bare branches rise
and fall overhead.
The barn door bangs loose,
persistent as remorse
after anger and shouting.
Dogs bark across the pond.
The shadow of the house
appears on the crusted snow
like the idea of a house,
and my own shadow
lies down in the cold
at my feet, lunatic,
like someone tired
of living in a body,
needy and full of desire . . . .

4 comments:
That's a fabulous poem, Kelly. Love the last stanza about the shadow!
It's so hot, I'm sure hell is on lots of people's minds lately. ;-)
Love the poem!!
Yeah, hotter THAN around here.
(((Hello)))
I found your blog from Debby and just thought I would stop by. I love the poem, just love it!
I see that your reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". I won't spoil it, but I read it and really enjoyed it. I'm also on Shelfari.Don't you just love that website? I tried the Library Thing, but Shelfari is just FUN :)
Huggers, Gayla
I could use some cold weather!!!!!
quid
Post a Comment