Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just a Dog


The picture above shows how Esther keeps fit. Her “almost indestructible dog ball” was waiting for her when she arrived at our house more than nine years ago. You can see that the yard is bare where she rolls it around the fence line. Once upon a time it was bright red. We bought the smaller blue ball for Alice and Mabel, but they don’t like it.

Here’s another e-mail I received recently. The author was listed as “unknown”, but a little research online attributed it to Richard Biby of Broken Arrow, OK.



Just a Dog


From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."






4 comments:

Pam said...

I absolutely LOVE that!!!!!! What a true and heartwarming poem/essay. I have to read that a few times more. If you still have the email send it to me so I can print it out.

Love at that big ol' Essie girl with her ball!!! :)

quid said...

I'm home with my "just a dog". He disappeared for about 3 days with my son and was at the girlfriend's house. I implored them to bring him back today to get my flea ecosystem back in balance. He's sleeping, part of him on one of my feet. We split a slice of American cheese about a half hour ago. That went well. He's been playing with the girlfriend's great Dane, so he'll probably doze for the next 24.

I'm all about that essay.

quid

ps - it's hard to believe that ball used to be red!

Algernon said...

That ball is all the exercise machine a dog needs -- or a person.

Tommy said...

Esther is the best dog you have.