It was early in 2001 when I decided to become a vegetarian. February, to be exact, and I approached it like most other things in life. All or none. So, on Ash Wednesday of that year (a good starting point) I quit eating all forms of meat/poultry/fish. Going vegan seemed a little too radical, so I didn’t opt to cut out eggs or dairy products and continued to use chicken and beef broth in preparing various dishes. It worked for me.
Now, more than eight years later I’m thinking of going back. For the first time in years, I’ve started having cravings for certain foods and want more variety in my diet. In addition, I’ve noticed more and more research questioning the effect of soy protein (a major staple in my diet) on the brain.
Earlier this week it hit me… I don’t have to continue being a vegetarian if I don’t want to! It’s not like I began for any kind of ethical reason. There were a few health reasons (sort of), but none that would prevent me from discontinuing the practice.
If I really want to eliminate something from my diet that would benefit me health-wise, I probably should consider cutting back on stuff like processed foods and white sugars.
Ultimately, I think the two most important things we can keep in mind when eating and drinking are portion control and moderation.

7 comments:
Oh Certainly we all have the option to quit be a vegetarian but for some people like me eating non-veg is out of the question.
Keep us posted, Kel!
Did I influence you with all my talk of sirloin patties and bacon with fresh tomatoes? LOL!
Just follow your heart and all will be well. We really don't eat a lot of meat due to monetary restrictions, but I could never give it up entirely.
Personally, I have never felt the need to rid my diet of any particular food. I love veggies and fruits; but, I also love chicken, fish, beef and dairy.
Life without dairy would be torture for me!!
I eat quite a bit more fish and chicken than beef. BUT, nothing like a good, juicy filet mignon or brisket!!!
Let me know if/when you re-introduce meat and I'll send you some recipes! I am not a big meat eater anymore and most days I only have it at one meal, if at all. Late last year I announced to my family that I was going to go vegetarian in 2009 and I was met with a lot of eye-rolling so I didn't do it. I hardly ever eat beef. I don't like steak or roast beef and don't really like burgers anymore. I'll eat ground beef in spaghetti or lasagna.
Let us know!
That's such a great "aha!" - you don't have to be a vegetarian. There are good reasons to do it, and perfectly good reasons not to do it. Listening to your body for what it truly needs is a good practice.
By the way, I eat a lot of soy protein, so there's confirmation: it's bad for the brain!
Good observation about cutting down things like processed sugars first, if the purpose is health. I would endorse spending more for the best-quality meats you can get, preferably organic without the hormones and other crap.
And, of course, after being vegetarian for several years, you know lots of options for balancing the meat with good vegetables and grains. Enjoy! And remember that those animals are now becoming your flesh -- so give them a good life.
I celebrated your return to "carnivoreism" last night by wolfing down a thick juciy mouthwatering medium-well "bone-in" ribeye steak - Oscar style (covered with bernaise, crab meat and asparragus) at Arthur's Steak House. Luckily I was not paying.
Post a Comment