Thursday, May 28, 2009

Flowers and Dogs

I had forgotten how hard puppies can be on bushes and plants. When we first got Esther and Betty (and JJ and Veronica) we had lots of althea bushes in our back yard. All the dogs were “diggers”, but the rottweilers especially enjoyed ripping off branches and running around the yard with them. We still have problems with digging, but the new puppies also went through a phase of the “rip and run” game. This time it was our gardenia bushes. Right before we got the pups we added two small bushes to go with our two large, healthy plants. Five months later the two large ones had been thinned out to the point I wasn’t sure they would ever be the same. It was so nice to find a bloom on one late last week. Since then the entire bush has burst into bloom along with the other large bush and one of the smaller ones. Looks like they’re going to make it after all.




Thanks to all our outside dogs it has always been difficult for me to grow flowers in my front beds. During the hot summer they liked burrowing into the cool dirt under the bushes or just sprawling on top of whatever I had planted. Hope’s favorite place was right in the middle of my daylily patch. In looking for positives about our recent tragedy with the animals I realized I could finally plant what I wanted in addition to putting out my garden flag again. The food bowls and water bucket were moved and I was just starting to get used to driving up and not being greeted by a wagging tail.

Funny how things work. Last Thursday morning we opened the door to the carport and were greeted by two stray dogs. One is definitely older; the other appears fairly young and might possibly be her child. The young one either has mange or something that’s caused some of her fur to come out. We’re pretty sure the older one is (gulp!) pregnant. By the next day it was obvious they weren’t just passing through. They were settling in and getting friendlier by the minute.

I used up my favors with the animal shelter when they took the six puppies last January. Although I check the “Lost & Found” ads each day, I don’t expect to see them listed. I’m afraid it’s fairly obvious why these girls were dumped.

My husband wants to let them settle in a bit before we traumatize them with a trip to the vet. I noticed today he was calling them by “name”. When I questioned him about the possible puppies he said we’ll deal with that when the time comes. I just don’t see a lot of options right now and I’m sure not up to putting them down just because I wasn’t ready for another outside dog! As for our livestock, these dogs are sticking close to the house and can be taught not to wander if necessary. We had Hope long before we had livestock so she was never taught to stay home.

I have to wonder if somewhere, somehow Bella and Hope whispered in these dogs’ ears, “Listen, we know just the place for you to go. There’s a family with two empty spots in their yard and lots of love in their hearts….”

4 comments:

quid said...

Another beautiful flower photo. I decided to build an album from your flower pics and Marion's. It's called, living vicariously. In my 2009 stimulus-era personal budget, all the funds to buy myself flowers periodically at the Fresh Market were axed in the budget cuts (along with highlights for my hair). Do I know thrift, or what.

I'm starting to worry that you are the old (well, you're not old, none of us is old) woman in the shoe...with doggies instead of kids. I am lifting a glass to your menagerie!

Hugs, Q

Pam said...

o0o0o00o good comment Quid!!! Gorgeous flowers, Sis!

All I can say about the puppies is Thank God there are no stray dogs in the area where I live!! I know me, and I'm sure I'd be "forced" to add to my own menagerie.

Bob said...

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away . . . or vice versa.

Welcome to the family, girls! :-)

That flower is beautiful, btw.

Marion said...

Kelly, I have the same feeling about cats. Word gets around the neighborhood about my cat house! Love your Gardenia photo. Mine are blooming like crazy, too, after the rain we've had.

I'm at the library. My computer at home is acting crazy and won't let me on the 'Net. Sigh. It's always something. I'll have to call my computer dude friend next week to see if he can come by to look at it. But the weather is so magnificent, I need to be outdoors in a lawn chair writing and reading anyway! Have a super weekend!!